Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) Labour is working outside. There are a lot of people out there working as labour. Labour does a lot of hard work.

2) Labourers are the people who work hard.

3) A labourer doesn't earn well.

Please check my sentences.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Labour is working outside. That sentence has little meaning.
There are a lot of people out there working as labour. People do not 'work as labour'.
Labour does a lot of hard work. Labour doesn't work; people do.

Labourers are the people who work hard. Labourers do not necessarily work hard.

A labourer doesn't earn well.
Use 'much' instead of 'well'. The sentence is then grammatically correct, but not necessarily true.

Labour is working outside. That sentence has little meaning.
There are a lot of people out there working as labour. People do not 'work as labour'.
Labour does a lot of hard work. Labour doesn't work; people do.

I don't understand. So what does "labour" mean? Is it not a group of labourers? So could you please tell the correct way of using this word in a sentence to me?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. "Labour" is not a group of labourers. Have you looked up the word (as a noun) in a good dictionary?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
No. "Labour" is not a group of labourers. Have you looked up the word (as a noun) in a good dictionary?

Yes. It also shows "workmen" or "workers".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I find that very odd. I would expect to find "workman" or "worker" under "labourer".

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Merriam Webster gives this as one of the definitions

• 4a : an economic group comprising those who do manual labor or work for wages wants the vote of labor in the elections
  • b (1) : workers employed in an establishment (2) : workers available for employment Immigrants provided a source of cheap labor.
  • c : the organizations or officials representing groups of workers negotiations betweenlabor and management

Oh, I see why you are confused, tufguy. If I just read the definitions, I would be too. But look at the examples and you will better understand the word.

• 4a : an economic group comprising those who do manual labor or work for wages wants the vote of labor in the elections - This means the people want representation of the working class in the elections.

• b (1) : workers employed in an establishment (2) : workers available for employment Immigrants provided a source of cheap labor. - Cheap labor means employers can hire these immigrants for cheaper wages, compared to natives.

• c : the organizations or officials representing groups of workers negotiations between labor and management - This means a negotiation between the labor union and the management team of the company.

I hope my explanation makes sense. If not, ask away.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Oh, I see why you are confused, tufguy. If I just read the definitions, I would be too. But look at the examples and you will better understand the word.

• 4a : an economic group comprising those who do manual labor or work for wages wants the vote of labor in the elections - This means the people want representation of the working class in the elections.

• b (1) : workers employed in an establishment (2) : workers available for employment Immigrants provided a source of cheap labor. - Cheap labor means employers can hire these immigrants for cheaper wages, compared to natives.

• c : the organizations or officials representing groups of workers negotiations between labor and management - This means a negotiation between the labor union and the management team of the company.

I hope my explanation makes sense. If not, ask away.

Okay I am confused but here is an attempt from my side. We can say "labour is cheap in India". It means the group of people who does unskilled works is cheaper to hire here.

Labourers work hard all day. It is easy to hire labourers here. It means each and every person who works as a labourer works hard and easy to be hired. Am I correct?

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Okay I am confused but here is an attempt from my side. We can say "labour is cheap in India". It means the group of people who does unskilled works is cheaper to hire here.

Labourers work hard all day. It is easy to hire labourers here. It means each and every person who works as a labourer works hard and easy to be hired. Am I correct?

The word "labor" here does not necessarily mean manual labor. It just means in general it is cheaper to find workers in India, supposedly compared to the US. That includes skilled workers. Also it has nothing to do with whether the workers work hard or not. Does it make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.