fill-in-the-blank questions

Hi. I have some fill-in-the-blank questions. I'd like to hear some opinions and compare with my guesses.

1) The process known as the scientific method outlines a series of steps for answering questions, but few scientists adhere rigidly (to) this prescription.

2) Like other intellectual activities, the best science is a product (of) minds that are creative, intuitive, and imaginative.

3) Perhaps science is distinguished by its conviction (of) natural phenomena, including the process of life, have natural causes and by its obsession (with) evidence.

4) Hypotheses are ideas (on) trial.

5) A succession of scientists working on the same problem build on (sand??)has been learned earlier.

6) It is also common to check (over) {can I say check out ?} the conclusions of others by attempting (to) repeat observations and experiments.

7) (For) contemporary scientists working on the same problem, there is both cooperation and competition.

8) Scientists share information through publications, seminars, meeting and personal communication. They also subject one (to) work (with) careful scrutiny.

9) Many people associate the word 'discovery' (with) science.

10) People like Darwin, Newton stand (out) in the history of science not because they generated great many facts, but because they synthesized ideas with great explanatory power.

11) Such ideas, broad (in) scope and supported by a large body (of) evidence, are known as theories.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Wales
      • Current Location:
      • Rwanda

Re: fill-in-the-blank questions

Quote Originally Posted by dean1
    Hi. I have some fill-in-the-blank questions. I'd like to hear some opinions and compare with my guesses.

1) The process known as the scientific method outlines a series of steps for answering questions, but few scientists adhere rigidly (to) this prescription.

2) Like other intellectual activities, the best science is a product (of) minds that are creative, intuitive, and imaginative.

3) Perhaps science is distinguished by its conviction (of) natural phenomena, including the process of life, have natural causes and by its obsession (with) evidence.

4) Hypotheses are ideas (on) trial.

5) A succession of scientists working on the same problem build on (sand??)has been learned earlier.

6) It is also common to check (over) {can I say check out ?} the conclusions of others by attempting (to) repeat observations and experiments.

7) (For) contemporary scientists working on the same problem, there is both cooperation and competition.

8) Scientists share information through publications, seminars, meeting and personal communication. They also subject one (to) work (with) careful scrutiny.

9) Many people associate the word 'discovery' (with) science.

10) People like Darwin, Newton stand (out) in the history of science not because they generated great many facts, but because they synthesized ideas with great explanatory power.

11) Such ideas, broad (in) scope and supported by a large body (of) evidence, are known as theories.
    1 and 2 perfect
    3 - conviction that. obsession with is correct
    4 - perfect
    5 - build on sand means to build on something without basis. A little difficult to choose one word - maybe information or research or knowledge?
    6 - check or check over, but not check out in this example, although American English speakers may disagree with me!
    7 - For could be correct depending on the rest of the context, but my guess is that between would be best.
    8 - subject one's work to
    9/10/11 - perfect

Re: fill-in-the-blank questions

Thanks a lot DAvy.