strict phrases make english dificult to speak

My first language is Kurdish , and Ihave mastered Arabic, also know alittle persina and ENGLISH.In my opinion its easier to understand English than to speak it. thats because english language should be spoked through rigid phrases and gives one no enough space tpOmanouver,for exaple, you should say:pay attention, but can not say give attention etc while other language i know r more flixible. AM RIGHT?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Cambodia
      • Current Location:
      • France

Re: strict phrases make english dificult to speak

hi, just to tell u my idea as i dont think that english is easiier to understand than to speak it,but it depends on people's ability as we dont have the same of it, right !

I don't know Kurdish, Arabic or Persian, so it's hard for me to comment. But I imagine that these languages also have rules about what verbs you can use with which expressions.

There is some flexibility in English. For example, you can order someone to "Pay attention!" or you can say "May I have your attention?" or "Can I have your attention?" or even "Could you give me your attention?"

But it's quite normal to understand more than you can speak. There is a difference between "active knowledge" (what you can use) and "passive knowledge" (what you understand).

I can demonstrate this quite easily. German is related to English, so is similar in many ways, but I expect it's a language you don't know. Now, the German for "to have" is "haben"; the German for "a dog" is "ein Hund"; and the German for "a cat" is "eine Katze". Now, can you say in German: "Peter has a dog and a cat"? You could try, but you don't have enough information to construct a grammatically correct sentence.

But if I show you the sentence "Peter hat einen Hund und eine Katze", you'd recognise it quite easily as the translation of the English sentence. Even after such a short lesson, your passive knowledge of German is greater than your active knowledge.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Cambodia
      • Current Location:
      • France

hi, you 're right, but i found out that many of French words are similar English too and even in grammar. i think that they can use from each other if the words are psoken fashionable.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • (Afan) Oromo
      • Home Country:
      • Aaland
      • Current Location:
      • United States

"Peter hat einen Hund und eine Katze"
    I don't think the "Peter hat" part is that easy to guess, because:
    `
    "Peter hat" -> "Peter's hat"