Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if my sentence sounds natural.

As Bob emerged out of the woods, in front of him lay a placid lake lit by the dazzling sun.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you trying to write a novel? Your sentence is not natural in speech or in regular writing.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
andrewg927,

I am not trying to write a novel. I am just trying to use different phrases and words to see if I can use them correctly, and to see if they sound natural in English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It really depends on what you mean by natural. Phrases like "a placid lake, lit by the dazzling sun" would be fine in a novel. If one of my friends said it to me in everyday speech, I'd be very surprised and would wonder why he/she was using such unnecessarily flowery language.

(I, like Piscean, would use "emerged from".)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This question of naturalness is an important one, Bassim. Almost all of the sentences you post on this forum have a narrative feel, as if they belonged in a novel.

(I would also normally use emerged from.)

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
jutfrank

I read different books at the same time, and when a see an interesting word or the one I have not used previously, I usually write it down. Words create associations in my mind, even pictures and scenes. I saw the word "placid" in a book, and my mind associated it with the word "lake", and then I saw a man emerging from the woods and looking at the placid lake under the bright sunshine.
As for writing a novel, I have a few in my mind, but my English must be better, as well as quality of my writing, if I ever have a chance to get them publish.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is a large lake in New York State called "Lake Placid".

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see. So you just want to practice using new words you have recently learned. In that case, the better question to ask is "is my sentence grammatically correct?" There will be words you find in books that are not usually used in everyday speech so the question of what is natural is a very tricky one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
jutfrank

I read different books at the same time, and when ​I see an interesting word or [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] one I have not used previously, I usually write it down. Words create associations in my mind, even pictures and scenes. I saw the word "placid" in a book, and my mind associated it with the word "lake", [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] then I saw a man emerging from the woods and looking at the placid lake under the bright sunshine.
As for writing a novel, I have a few in my mind, but my English [STRIKE]must[/STRIKE] needs to be better, as well as the quality of my writing, if I am ever to have a chance to get them published.

Thanks for explaining how you come up with the ideas you post. As the others have said, most of your sentences have a narrative feel but asking us if they're natural generally makes us think of everyday speech. Those two don't really go together. As Piscean suggested, asking if they're grammatically correct will get you better answers.

It's interesting how different people's brains work. If someone asked me to come up with a quick scenario using the word "placid", I'd probably say:

John: Does your dog bite?
Tom: No, he's really placid.

I'm sure you'll agree mine is much less imaginative and flowery than yours. However, mine is far more likely to be heard in everyday speech.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, that was andrew. I feel that Bassim is asking the right question with 'Does it sound natural'?

:oops:
Sorry, you're right. There's nothing wrong with the question "Does it sound natural?" but Bassim does need to be aware that that will lead to varying opinions and, quite possibly, repeatedly being asked "Natural in what context/situation?"

Status
Not open for further replies.