• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Courthouse

Hi

In the following sentence, the word "courthouse" means really "a court: the place where a trial is held" or it refers to "office of a notary or registry office to register their marriage"?

" The end result was that there were no two ways about it - Wyatt and I were having a baby, so we were going to be married - and the ceremony needed to be arranged for yesterday if possible. The day the uni offers came out, I was at the courthouse suffering through our shotgun wedding."

Source: A Mother's Confession, by Kelly Rimmer

2. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Courthouse

Quote Originally Posted by ida2 View Post
    Hi

In the following sentence, does the word "courthouse" means really mean "a court: the place where a trial is held", or it refers does it refer to "office of a notary or registry office to register their marriage"?
    Please note the correct way to frame your question. We don't simply write a statement and stick a question mark at the end.

The register (BE term) office, was clearly a room in the same large building as the courthouse.

3. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Courthouse

In American counties ("parishes" in Louisiana), the courthouse is the building that houses both the county courts and usually the office where you can get married. They're separated in very large counties; I had business at the Los Angeles County Hall of Records and found a steady flow of marrying couples and their families passing through.
    I am not a teacher.