Can /ɪ/ and /ə/ be used interchangeably in unstressed syllables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fruitninja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
United States
E.g. "believe", "delete", "define"....I looked up the word "define" in dictionaries. One says /də-'fain/, the other one says /dɪ-'fain/. So, can I use either /ɪ/ or /ə/ for these words ? I tried listening to speakers, but the unstressed syllable is pronounced so fast; sometimes, it's hard to tell which one.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It very common for the vowels in the unstressed syllables in English to revert to the /ə/, which is known as a schwa. This is especially true when speaking rapidly.

It's critical that you have the correct vowel sound in a stressed syllable (in terms of comprehension), but if your unstressed syllable vowels are a little off, it doesn't make as much difference for this reason.

English is stress-timed, meaning the stressed syllables are uttered at roughly equal intervals, and the unstressed syllables are shortened to maintain that pacing. One way we shorten them is to revert to a schwa vowel, because it's short and quick to utter.

CommuniKate

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Spain
That's an interesting question. I don't think so. Is there an example you're thinking of?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They can (such as in the examples you give -- delete/define/believe) but not always.

Status
Not open for further replies.