Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
What is the difference? When do I need to use acknowledge? recognize? admit? What's the difference between: I always admire my mistakes, I always acknowledge my mistakes. I always recognize my mistakes. What does each word imply?

Last edited:

ShadeWe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Re: acknowledge, admit, recognize

I should have asked more correctly. I know that these words have different meanings that aren't similar to one another at all. (acknowledge have the meaning of accepting that someone has a particular status or something like that, whereas, for example, admit doesn't have even a similar meaning like that). Every dictionary I looked in said that these words have this meaning: "to accept (unwillingly) that something is true". This meaning is provided for every word in this list: acknowledge, admit, recognize, concede. I'm interested in the using of these words exactly in this meaning. Are they interchangeable in this meaning? Or are there some cases where I have to say a particular word?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I always admire my mistakes.

The sentence above is very unnatural. I think you use the wrong word.

ShadeWe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

I want a lot probably, but can someone explain to me all the features of the using of these words? They have one similar meaning (to accept (unwillingly) that something is true), and I can't understand in which situations I need to use a particular word. Moreover, these words, except for admit, are explained by admit word, that makes my situation more confusing. When reading these explanations, I think that they are interchangeable in this meaning, but it's really not I guess.
I've spent the whole day on this, and the result is nothing. I've just gotten more confused.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Try http://corpus.byu.edu/coca/. It will give you lots of real examples of words in use, which is a good way of getting a sense of how they are used.

Status
Not open for further replies.