He was standing facing the opposite direction from car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
John was standing in the middle of the road. Jerry had almost run over him by car. He stopped the car but couldn't see his face because he was standing in front of the car. He was standing facing the opposite direction from car. He could have seen his face if he had been standing facing the same direction as the car.

Please check my sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
John was standing in the middle of the road. Jerry had almost run ​him over [STRIKE]him[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]by[/STRIKE] with his car.

He stopped the car but couldn't see his face because he was standing in front of the car. He was standing facing the opposite direction from car. He could have seen his face if he had been standing facing the same direction as the car.

Please check my sentences.

I've corrected the first two sentences. I've left sentence 2 in the past perfect although I'm not entirely sure it's the tense you need. The way you've written it suggests that John was standing in the road after Jerry nearly ran him over.

After that, there are so many repetitions of the word "he" that I can't work out whether each one refers to John or Jerry. Please rewrite the last three sentences so that it is clear who you are talking about.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I've corrected the first two sentences. I've left sentence 2 in the past perfect although I'm not entirely sure it's the tense you need. The way you've written it suggests that John was standing in the road after Jerry nearly ran him over.

After that, there are so many repetitions of the word "he" that I can't work out whether each one refers to John or Jerry. Please rewrite the last three sentences so that it is clear who you are talking about.

Jerry stopped the car but couldn't see his face because he was standing in front of the car. John was standing facing the same direction as the car. Jerry could have seen his face if he had been standing facing the opposite direction from the car.

Can I also say "John was standing opposite the car. Jerry could see his face clearly"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

Jerry stopped the car, but he couldn't see John's face because John was facing away from the car.

And:

John was standing facing away from the car.

The rest is too confusing for me to figure out. (What in the world does "opposite the car" mean?)

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Try:

Jerry stopped the car, but he couldn't see John's face because John was facing away from the car.

And:

John was standing facing away from the car.

The rest is too confusing for me to figure out. (What in the world does "opposite the car" mean?)

"John was facing away from the car" does it mean "he was facing the same direction as the car"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, it means he was facing the other way. He had his back to the car.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say "he was facing away from the car".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
No, it means he was facing the other way. He had his back to the car.

So yes, if he is facing the same direction as the car so it means he is facing the direction car is travelling to. If he is facing the opposite direction from the car then he is standing facing the car with his face visible to the driver. Am I correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It depends whether he's closer to the bonnet (hood) or the boot (trunk) of the car.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So yes, if he is facing the same direction as the car so it means he is facing the direction car is travelling to. If he is facing the opposite direction from the car then he is standing facing the car with his face visible to the driver. Am I correct?

Tufguy! You can do better than that. For starters, you can't always use the same verb for a car as for a person.

Let's say Bob is driving north on Elm Street. He sees his friend Jack walking in the same direction. He honks his horn to get Jack's attention. Jack stops and turns his head. He sees Bob. Bob says, "Jack, do you want a ride?" Jack says, "Sure!"

Last edited by a moderator:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Tufguy! You can do better than that. For starters, you can't always use the same verb for a car as for a person.

Sorry I don't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're not alone there, tufguy.

Tarheel, which verb were you referring to?

This:

"...he is facing the same direction as the car..."

I don't believe the car is facing in any direction. Instead, it is either moving or it isn't.

Also, the rest of that sentence is too complicated.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Saying that a stationary car is "facing" one way or another works perfectly in BrE. If it were moving, I would say it was "heading" in a particular direction.

I parked my car facing the theatre.
He left his car in the middle of the road, facing south.

Her car was last seen heading north on the M3.
I think I just saw your car heading into the car park at the hospital.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the proper context it makes sense. But tufguy doesn't provide any context. "He was standing facing the car" is fine. But don't throw a bunch more words into the sentence. Start a new one! Perhaps:

He was standing facing the car. I could clearly see his face.

Status
Not open for further replies.