English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
RE: Basic Newbie Grammar Questions

Hi folks,

I have just joined this site today.

I am studying GCSE English as a mature student.

I have lot of questions relating to Language/Structure/Grammar/ and wondered, please - for the sake of simplicity and convenience - if I might be able to bundle them all together? Otherwise, asking each question individually (which I can do!) is going to take up a lot of real-estate!

Many thanks in advance for any kind help offered . . .

Best,

Paul David Seaman (UK)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: Basic Newbie Grammar Questions

Welcome to the forum (Ask a Teacher) to which I have moved your post.

No. Ask only one question per thread, with a title appropriate for each - mentioning words or phrases you are asking about.

Try posting one only in the first instance.

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Hi,

Moderators: peel free to delete this this particular thread if you feel it has served it's purpose etc.

Ta,

Paul

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

OK, thanks Piscean/Rover,

I have posted a single question in the recommended forum, and appropriately titled it:

Ta,

Paul

[STRIKE]btw[/STRIKE] By the way, I do not receive notifications when replies are posted to my threads, even though I am 'subscribed'.

[STRIKE]?).[/STRIKE]

Hi,

Moderators: feel free to delete this [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] particular thread if you feel it has served [STRIKE]it's[/STRIKE] its purpose etc.

Ta,

Paul

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

If I were you, I wouldn't be too bothered about the notifications thing. I had them turned on when I first joined but I found that the notifications just filled up my email inbox. If you post a thread that gets lots of responses, the notifications can really get on your nerves! I recommend simply keeping the forum open in your browser all the time and, every once in a while, click on Quick Links, My Threads - any that appear in bold have new responses.

Note my corrections above. Remember that "it's" is a contraction of "it is" or "it has". The possessive is "its". Bear in mind that English learners use this site. With that in mind, please try to avoid things like "btw" - native speakers will know what you mean but learners will have to ask.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

EMS,

The reason I was asking about the notifications was because - due to an internet issue - I am having to work form my Nokia mobile at present. If I was on a PC then having lots of tabs open would not be an issue.

Similarly, typing from a small touch-screen is not - for me! - very easy. Hence prone to typos etc. 'Predictive- Text' can also throw a spanner in the works. In any event, I am hoping that the meat and potatoes of my questions/replies is received without too much distortion.

Ta,

Paul

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Let's leave it open as it's all harmless fun. ;-)

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Tdol,

Let's leave it open as it's all harmless fun. ;-)

Thank you for your response.

I was not being argumentative in any way. But rather simply responding to EMS's reply and making he/she aware of my current situation of not having a full-sized QWERTY keyboard.

Ta,

Paul

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I suggest you post a thread in the Support Area explaining your lack of notifications. Make sure you list what device you're using, which operating system, which browser and which version.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

EMS,

I suggest you post a thread in the Support Area explaining your lack of notifications. Make sure you list what device you're using, which operating system, which browser and which version.

Thank you for your response.

I think I will see how I get on once my internet is fixed in a couple of days time. If it continues to be problematic then I shall pursue further assistance as you suggest.

Ta,

Paul

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

EMSR,

Now I have my internet fixed, I am able to work on my PC again (so I can keep a browser open).

Ta,

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.