Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi folks,

Having just joined, this is my first ever question here and I was advised to post it in this specific section of the forum.

I have been trying to find out the reasons why authors make the decisions to present certain grammatical/language features which they do. I have watched many You-Tube tutorials but it does not seem to be too often that people respond to viewers questions. Also. many You-Tube videos are not especially well presented (to put it lightly!)

What is (please) the main reason behind a long-list of nouns. I think the intended effect is to cause the reader a sense of feeling 'overwhelmed':

eg. "They carried tables, chairs, books, shoes, coats, bedding, curtains, cushions and paintings into the lobby".

I believe the term is 'epic-catalog'?

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here . . .

Best,

Paul David Seaman (UK)

<btw: these questions are in relation to my imminent GCSE English exam!>

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't feel there's any specific attempt to overwhelm the reader. I think such lists have two possible purposes:

1. To ensure that nothing is missed because the writer feels it's important for the reader to see the whole list.
2. To impress the reader so that, after reading the list, they think "Wow, what a lot of ...!"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
On the internet, the word epic is used in things like epic fail, so it may be a case of the word being used in this way, but it is not a term that has wide acceptance for lists.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Robert,

Do you really believe that there is premeditated intent to overwhelm the reader? I find that hard to believe. Maybe it's just the writer's style.

Never heard of 'epic-catalog'; sorry. Take 5 and give us a few jazz licks.

Thank you for your response.

I understand your clear disagreement with me. I am - as I mentioned - an unqualified student and the suggestion was merely my own personal interpretation.

The device 'epic-catalog' was very famously exploited in Homer's work: 'The Illiad'. I felt my above example may have fallen into the same category, albeit to a less dramatic effect.

'Take 5' (if you are referring to the Paul Desmond composition as featured on 'Time Further Out'?) is actually written as: 'Take Five'.

Ta,

Paul

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Raymott,

"Epic catalog" is not hyphenated.

OK, fair enough. I was going by how the Moderator who re-listed/re-titled my question spelled it.

Ta,

Paul

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't feel there's any specific attempt to overwhelm the reader. I think such lists have two possible purposes:

1. To ensure that nothing is missed because the writer feels it's important for the reader to see the whole list.
2. To impress the reader so that, after reading the list, they think "Wow, what a lot of ...!"

I think I identified a third purpose while reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, which has several multi-page lists of marine lifeforms: the author had a deadline for submitting the next segment of a serialized novel and couldn't think of a narrative to fill up the last few pages.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
EMS,

But in a scenario where the writer states (say):

"After we were rudely awoken at 6am each morning, we had to run to the kitchen and scrub the floors, clean all the work surfaces, polish the glass cupboards, ring out the wet tea-towels and table-cloths, sweep up the bread crumbs, and wash every cup, dish, pot and pan."

Or even:

"We were forced to walk for miles and miles, marching up and down steep hills, through rivers and swamps, and through endless jungle land full of bushes, vines and tree stumps."

Admittedly, I have used more verbs/adjectives, but I would say that the above sentences would generate (within the audience) a feeling of being 'overwhelmed' .

Ta,

Paul

Last edited:

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think I would be overwhelmed by those sentences. I would think the author is very detail-oriented. Though I admit, if the author added ten more things to that list, I would feel overwhelmed and skip reading the rest of it.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Like Robert, I have not heard of "epic catalogue" until now. Perhaps it is used in limited circles.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'Take 5' (if you are referring to the Paul Desmond composition as featured on 'Time Further Out'?) is actually written as: 'Take Five'.

I can only guess but I don't think Robert was referring to Paul Desmond. I think he was trying to be funny and said let's take a break and play some music.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Andrew,

I don't think I would be overwhelmed by those sentences. I would think the author is very detail-oriented. Though I admit, if the author added ten more things to that list, I would feel overwhelmed and skip reading the rest of it.

Perhaps a longer list of items is required for it to create the desired effect of the audience feeling 'overwhelmed'? Stephen King uses this in 'The Shining' when the caretaker is being shown all of the supplies in the hotel kitchen.

Anyway, I have had a few replies to think about and so I may post another question shortly, under separate cover.

Ta,

Paul

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Andrew,

Like Robert, I have not heard of "epic catalogue" until now. Perhaps it is used in limited circles.

OK, fair enough. It was a term I only learned myself last year!

Ta,

Paul

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Andrew,

I can only guess but I don't think Robert was referring to Paul Desmond. I think he was trying to be funny and said let's take a break and play some music.

Yes, that is possible, of course. There are many tunes flyin' around with the same title I dare say!

Ta,

Paul

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Take five" is how a bandleader tells the musicians to take a (nominally) five-minute break. Paul Desmond named his famous composition Take Five as a bow to this tradition and a reference to its five-four time signature.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Goes Station,

"Take five" is how a bandleader tells the musicians to take a (nominally) five-minute break. Paul Desmond named his famous composition Take Five as a bow to this tradition and a reference to its five-four time signature.

I suspect the term was modified over a period of time; and as the genre of Jazz metamorphosed; and as the nature of such engagements evolved over the eras. In addition to this, I would suspect the term is a US colloquialism as opposed to (say) British.

In any event, the title does indeed contain a double-meaning as you astutely point out!

Ta,

Paul

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The phrase is indeed very common in the US and it is used in places where it has nothing to do with jazz or music.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would suspect the term is a US colloquialism as opposed to (say) British.

Your suspicions would be misplaced- we use take five in the UK for a short break. ;-)

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Tdol,

Your suspicions would be misplaced- we use take five in the UK for a short break. ;-)

Well in over thirty years of gigging (as far as I can remember) I have never been told once to 'take five'. And that is the truth!

However, I can fully appreciate that we both operate within entirely different circles.

Ta,

Paul

(I will not be responding to this tread anymore because I feel it has gone way off-topic, for which I am partly to blame).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.