• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

describing my work

Alternate Reality is a psychoanalytic study in self-portraiture in light of a mirroring notion that can materialize thoughts and emotions, and represent out-of-place reflections of the portrait, surrounded by symbolically charged forms of animals and organic shapes.

This is the description I've written about my work. Could you please advise me if there are mistakes in this piece of writing?
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 30-May-2017 at 09:26. Reason: Changed font to black to make it readable

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: describing my work

Hello there, and welcome to the forum.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "in light of a mirroring notion." I also don't much like the use of "materialize" as a transitive verb; others may disagree.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I'll be honest, I don't understand it at all. Having said that, I could say that about every little blurb I've ever read next to a piece of art. I no longer even bother reading them at exhibitions because they don't help me at all. I just look at the art and decide whether I like it or not.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

4. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    Hello there, and welcome to the forum.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "in light of a mirroring notion." I also don't much like the use of "materialize" as a transitive verb; others may disagree.
    Hi and thanks for your answer,

Since there's always a mirror,whether a real mirror or an imaginative mirror (in my case) in any practice of portraiture, and the fact that looking at a mirror results in a reflection or mirroring effect, gives a mirroring characteristic to the mirror, i.e. if there is a stain on the surface of the mirror that stain will appear as a dark spot in any image that the mirror reflects. If the surface of the mirror is warped, the reflections will have a distorted characteristic. This mirroring characteristic is what I meant by "mirroring notion"

you are right, materialize looks best in its intransitive form, even in my Longman dictionary it only has an intransitive form, though, to me it looked better than other alternatives such as realize, etc...

My biggest problem with this piece of writing is when I say the mirroring notion can materialize thoughts... I'm not sure if the word "notion" can be the subject here and do the action of materializing.
    Also not sure about the use of "In light of". By that I meant directing my study to this particular direction.

5. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I'll be honest, I don't understand it at all. Having said that, I could say that about every little blurb I've ever read next to a piece of art. I no longer even bother reading them at exhibitions because they don't help me at all. I just look at the art and decide whether I like it or not.
    Hi and thanks for the answer.

I agree. for me it was time saving when I was an undergrad student in my hometown with lots of galleries and we just had a couple of hours to visit all of them, but here it was a different experience with less galleries and also having my professor by my side in the gallery tours.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Now that I've read posts #4 and #5, and given that this is about art, I think the original is okay. Stick with it.