Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
To my undertanding,

Depends on different countries, "college" stands for university, high school and secondary school.

Am I right?

Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes. In Australia, high school and secondary school is the same thing, and some are called colleges. A university is not called a college.

Ju

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Yes. In Australia, high school and secondary school is the same thing, and some are called colleges. A university is not called a college.

Senior high school is from year 10 to 13
Junior high school is from year 7 to 9

Am I right?

Many thanks.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In American schools, high school is generally from ninth or tenth through twelfth grade. Junior high or middle school runs from sixth or seventh through eighth or ninth grade. The details vary depending on the school district. Some states may impose a consistent structure on all their school districts.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, we don't differentiate between "college" and "university" in common speech, and we also use "school" to refer to either.

Even if the school I went to was called "X University" I'd still say "I went to college in New York."
Jim is away at school.
Jim is away at college.
Where did you go to school? - Usually this means what college/university, unless you are specifically talking about your hometown and early schooling.
In the US, we rarely say "He's at university" or "Where did you go to university?" or "What university did you go to?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the UK, high/secondary school is from age 11 to age 16. Sixth form college is from age 16 to age 18. College or university is from age 18 to age 21/22. We don't use "college" and "university" interchangeably. You either attend college or you attend university.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, we don't differentiate between "college" and "university" in common speech, and we also use "school" to refer to either.

I'd add the caveat that this is true for four-year institutions, but we do refer to two-year institutions (known as community colleges or junior colleges) only as 'colleges'.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It should be noted that college also means different university divisions such as college of liberal arts, college of business or women's college. In this sense, college and university are not interchangeable. I would say while a university includes post-graduate studies or advanced degrees, a college does not.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would also add some training programs use the name "university" in their title but is not an actual accredited university. An example of that is Hamburger University.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
But some universities, like Oxford, are divided into colleges.
Yes, but Oxford is not in Australia. I explicitly gave the Australian usages.
Australian Universities are divided into Schools and Departments.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Senior high school is from year 10 to 13
Junior high school is from year 7 to 9

Am I right?

Many thanks.
In Australia, Junior is grades 8, 9, 10 and Senior is grade 11 and 12. They are the levels in high school.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In Australia, Junior is grades 8, 9, 10 and Senior is grade 11 and 12. They are the levels in high school.

That's very different from the US. We have freshman, sophomore, junior and senior in high school. Some school districts also use lower, intermediate and upper school in addition to other designations.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's very different from the US. We have freshman, sophomore, junior and senior in high school.
... Except in places where high school is only three years. (For learners, freshman, sophomore, junior and senior are the four years of undergraduate studies in American colleges and universities. The terms are also used for ninth, tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grade in four-year high schools.)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yes, but Oxford is not in Australia. I explicitly gave the Australian usages.
Australian Universities are divided into Schools and Departments.

We have those too. But they are, to us, sub-sections of an institution. I didn't mean to intrude into Australian usage, but the situation in the UK is slightly more complex and confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.