Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States
Could someone please check this paragraph for mistakes?

About ten years ago when I was a university student, I went/attended to a language school where I could took some English classes/courses in
basic and pre-intermediate levels. My English was significantly getting improved and because I was very interested in English I could speak it powerfully. However/still, after graduation, I had been applying for different jobs , and then I was busy going for job interviews for months, so I had to drop my classes. Finally, I found a full-time job in a computer firm with long working hours. As a result, my free time has been taken up with my work completely , and since then I haven't had enough time to go to an English class regularly. Also, I find it a little bit difficult to attend to a language school because it is so far from my work. Similarly, it takes me a long time to get there, especially in the heavy rush hour traffic. Therefore, I have started learning language myself.

Notice: where I put two words separated by '/', I have doubt which one was better.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could someone please check this paragraph for mistakes?

About ten years ago when I was a university student, I went to/attended [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] a language school where I [strike]could[/strike] took some basic and pre-intermediate English classes/courses. [STRIKE]in basic and pre-intermediate levels.[/STRIKE]
Both "went to" or "attended" work.

My English was getting significantly [STRIKE]getting[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]improved[/STRIKE] better and, because I was very interested in English, I could speak it [STRIKE]powerfully[/STRIKE] well.

However[STRIKE]/still[/STRIKE], after graduation, I [STRIKE]had been applying[/STRIKE] applied for [STRIKE]different[/STRIKE] several/many jobs , and then I was busy going for job interviews for months, so I had to drop my classes.

Finally, I found a full-time job in a computer firm with long working hours. [STRIKE]As a result,[/STRIKE] Since then, my free time has been completely taken up with my work, [STRIKE]completely ,[/STRIKE] and [STRIKE]since then[/STRIKE] I haven't had enough time to go to an English class regularly.

Also, I find it a little bit difficult to attend [strike]to[/strike] [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the/that language school because it is so far from my work. [STRIKE]Similarly,[/STRIKE] It [STRIKE]takes[/STRIKE] would take me a long time to get there, especially in the heavy rush hour traffic. [STRIKE]Therefore[/STRIKE] As a result, I have started learning the language by myself.

[STRIKE]Notice:[/STRIKE] Note that where I put two words separated by '/', I have doubts about which one [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] is better.

See above.

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States
Thanks teacher. I really appreciate your great help, but I didn't think I made too many mistakes. I feel that the more I study, the worse my English is getting. I am so disappointed. I have to get 7 in IELST, but I have no hope. :cry:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Don't be despondent. The more you post here, the more idea you'll get of your most common mistakes and you can really work on them. Think positive!

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States
As ems said, think positive!

However, if you really have to get an IELTS 7, in order to gain acceptance on a course, or to get a job you want, then I recommend that you try to find a teacher (with IELTS experience!). Even with the assistance of the handful of experienced people who give help and advice in the Editing & Writing Topics forum here at UE, it is difficult to reach that level without personal contact.
Yes. I have to get an IELST 7 so that I can apply for universities abroad. I am going to register in an IELTS class. However, I have to get the score within 6 months, and I don't think that happens, as I am not even a pre-intermediate student.

Thanks for all your help, tips and advice.

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States
That's okay if it's something you've done already. Otherwise if you've never been to that school, use "would" as suggested by emsr2d2.
So many thanks teacher.I exactly had that question. I wanted to know why teacher Emsr2d2 used "would".

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
[STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] Many thanks, teechar. I [STRIKE]exactly had[/STRIKE] wanted to ask that (very) question. I wanted to know why [STRIKE]teacher[/STRIKE] Emsr2d2 used "would".
You're welcome. I'm glad that's clear now.

Status
Not open for further replies.