• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Article

Sir, I wanna know when you say you have the guts to deal with terrorists. Here, I understand that 'the' definite article is specifying for a particular purpose that is to deal with terrorists but if you say I have the guts more than anybody here I don't understand the reason why is 'the' definite article is used because there is no particular purpose. please! let me know about it in detail.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Article

Quote Originally Posted by arjitsharma View Post
    Sir, Overly formal and assumes everyone here is male.

I wanna would like to know when why you we say you we have the guts to deal with terrorists. Here, I understand that 'the' the definite article is specifying for a particular purpose, that is to deal with terrorists but if you say I have the guts more than anybody here I don't understand the reason why is 'the' definite article is used because there is no particular purpose. Please (no exclamation mark here) let me know about explain it to me. in detail.
    You seem to have answered your own question. In the sentence "We have the guts to deal with terrorists", we are specifying the guts (bravery) required - those used to deal with terrorists.

Where did you get the idea that it has anything to do with "having more guts than anybody else"? (I assume that's what you meant by the part I have marked in blue above, which isn't grammatical.) As you can see, if we say "I have more guts than anyone else", we don't use the definite article because we are not being specific about the guts involved.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.