Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. Does the phrase “throw out a minnow to catch a whale” make sense?

2. Does the sentence below make sense?
It is the author's sincere hope that it can be taken for reference by administrators of universities in Taiwan and can provoke deeper thoughts and discussion by throwing a minnow to catch a whale.

3. Does the following dialogue make sense?
A:Thank you so much for donation money to local charities.
B: That’s nothing. I just want to set an example of good deed for others to follow.

4. How could I make the sentences above sound natural?

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
1. Does the phrase “throw out a minnow to catch a whale” make sense?

2. Does the sentence below make sense?
It is the author's sincere hope that it can be taken for reference by administrators of universities in Taiwan and can provoke deeper thoughts and discussion by throwing a minnow to catch a whale.
It's possible. I take it to mean the same as "use a sprat to catch a mackerel."
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/a_sprat_to_catch_a_mackerel

3. Does the following dialogue make sense?
A:Thank you so much for [STRIKE]donation[/STRIKE] donating money to local charities.
B: [STRIKE]That’s nothing.[/STRIKE] Not at all. I just want to set an example of doing a good deed for others to follow.

4. How could I make the sentences above sound natural?

contiluo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Do the sentences below make sense?

The small talk above is my personal experience on breaking the ice when meeting someone for the first time. It is my sincere hope that it can be taken for reference by you students and can enlighten you by throwing a minnow to catch a whale.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

The small talk above is my personal experience on breaking the ice when meeting someone for the first time. It is my sincere hope that it can be taken for reference by you students and can enlighten you by throwing a minnow to catch a whale.

No. It doesn't make sense to me.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

The small talk above is [STRIKE]my personal experience on breaking[/STRIKE] what I sometimes use to break the ice when meeting someone for the first time. You cal also use it if you like.[STRIKE]It is my sincere hope that it can be taken for reference by you students and can enlighten you by throwing a minnow to catch a whale.[/STRIKE]

To use a sprat to catch a mackerel or a minnow to catch a whale means something else. It means that you don't mind sacrificing something small and of little value in the hope of catching (gaining) something bigger. You may or may not catch the big thing, but it's a risk you're willing to take because the cost is small even if you don't end up gaining anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.