[Grammar] RE: Capital Letter after Ellipsis (Question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: Capital Letter after Ellipsis (Question)

There cannot be a space "between" an ellipsis any more than there can be an orange "between" a banana. An ellipsis is a single punctuation mark consisting of three closely-spaced dots.

OK, thanks.

Therefore, I might view it as being something of a 'clearly defined single unit'.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Do you mean that it is down to what the preferences of the 'publisher' are (ie. as opposed to those of the writer), please?
Publishers follow style guides which set out the grammatical and typesetting rules they aim to follow. You can find some good ones on line.

I'd be somewhat surprised to find a style guide that allows a sentence to end with an ellipsis that isn't followed by a period.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Ok, great. I will adhere to your helpful suggestion.

It is difficult trying to learn things on your own because there is so much conflicting information. And also, as someone pointed out in an earlier thread, there are some differences between the UK and US language/grammar.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Do you mean that it is down to what the preferences of the 'publisher' are (ie. as opposed to those of the writer), please?

I mean either the publisher or the writer.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Publishers follow style guides which set out the grammatical and typesetting rules they aim to follow. You can find some good ones on line.

I'd be somewhat surprised to find a style guide that allows a sentence to end with an ellipsis that isn't followed by a period.

I read a lot of Stephen King and Dean Koontz. This is where/why I get confused! I see appreciable contradictions to what I have been taught in pre-GSCE English night school.

And the same goes for a lot of '19th C' texts (although we have already discussed this in a previous thread).

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

A little investigation of the styles used in some of the books on my shelf confirms to me the variance I mentioned.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I mean either the publisher or the writer.

I suppose the text/article may never be intended to be published (and so it remains in handwritten form - until discovered). For example (off the top of my head): Anne Frank's diary.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Also, with punctuation generally, sometimes the style of writing may be so idiosyncratic that the text itself demands that a publisher breaks a rule of convention to suit the writer's intention. (Though I think this is not likely with ellipses, especially in non-fiction texts.)

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Sometimes writers drop the capital letter from the start of a word which would typically have one (I am referring to such words being buried within an ellipsis and in italics - such as if someone is 'dreaming').

For instance:

(... i did not see her ... but i could sense her ... she and i were as one ...).

As you can see, the capital 'I' has been replaced by a lower-case 'i'. I am not sure if this is because it is a 'dream' (or similar), or else because the phrases is within an ellipsis sentence?

Thanks.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

No, there must be another explanation why the writer used lower case 'i's. The most likely explanation I can think of is mere carelessness.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

No, there must be another explanation why the writer used lower case 'i's. The most likely explanation I can think of is mere carelessness.

The use of the lower-case 'i' (and many others) are repeated throughout Stephen King's novel "The Shining".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Stephen King has a very specific style of writing. Once you get to be as well-respected and incredible as he is, you can pretty much do what you like!

Status
Not open for further replies.