• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

YouBike Sweet Notice

'YouBike' is a public bicycle sharing service in Taiwan.
    On the dock of YouBike, it says:

YouBike Sweet Notice

For your own safety, please check bike's condition first before you go. ( Ex: Breaks, Tires Pressure, Lights, Seat Clamp), Please do not rent the broken YouBike and turn the seat backwards to indicate it needs repairs.

When returning YouBike, make sure the bike is locked properly on the dock. After the blue light on the dock blinks and emits a beeping sound, please use your card on the sensor pad on the dock to pay the rental fee. When the indicator light switches back to green, the return process is completed.

The bikes are covered by Product Liability Insurance and Public Liability Insurance only in the station area. For additional coverage you must take out insurance yourself.

Does the phrase 'sweet notice' sound natural? and is there anything in this article sounding unnatural?

Thanks!
    Last edited by kadioguy; 12-Jun-2017 at 01:33.
    I'm not a teacher. Please feel free to correct me. :)

teechar is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: YouBike Sweet Notice

Quote Originally Posted by kadioguy View Post

For your own safety, please check the bike's condition first before using it. you go. ( Ex: Check the brakes, tyre pressure, Breaks, Tires Pressure, lights, Seat saddle clamp. Please do not rent the broken YouBike and turn the seat backwards to indicate it needs repairs.

When returning a YouBike, make sure the bike is locked properly on the dock. After the blue light on the dock blinks and emits a beeping sound, please use your card on the sensor pad on the dock to pay the rental fee. When the indicator light switches back to green, the return process is complete.

The bikes are covered by product liability insurance and public liability insurance only in the station area. For additional coverage, you must take out your own insurance. yourself.
    I don't understand the text in blue, and "sweet notice" does not sound natural.

kadioguy is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    Please do not rent the broken YouBike and turn the seat backwards to indicate it needs repairs.
    It means when you find any malfunctions of the bicycle, you can turn the seat backwards to indicate the bicycle needs repairs, for example: http://i.imgur.com/VgNKC5F.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    The bikes are covered by product liability insurance and public liability insurance only in the station area.

It seems that 'the station area' refer to area like this: http://i.imgur.com/IqyyNrT.jpg
    I'm not a teacher. Please feel free to correct me. :)

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

"Please do not rent the broken YouBike and turn the seat backwards to indicate it needs repairs" is quite misleading. It sounds as if you are being asked not to do either of those things. It would be clearer if it said "[If the bike is broken], please do not rent the bike; [instead,] turn the saddle backwards to indicate that it needs to be repaired."

"Sweet notice" is definitely not natural. Perhaps they mis-translated the often-used "Polite notice".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.