Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,

Can anybody tell me what exactly Old Adam´s trade and Job himself mean in the text below?

‘Not that I ever took much notice of him until it came to a point past any man’s enduring. I let him rave. But duty is duty, there’s no getting away from that. And when, apart from all this fuss about his fruit, a man takes advantage of what is meant in pure friendliness, well, one’s bound to make a move. Job himself.
‘What I mean to say is, I used occasionally – window wide open and all that, the pantry being on the other side of the house and away from the old gentleman’s study – I say I used occasionally, and all in the way of friendliness, to offer our friend a drink. Like as with many of Old Adam’s trade, drink was a little weakness of his, though I don’t mean I hold with it because of that. But peace and quietness is the first thing, and to keep an easy face to all appearances, even if you do find it a little hard at times to forgive and forget.

Crewe, Walter de la Mare, 1929

Thanks a lot.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Job" is the protagonist of the Book of Job, subjected to increasingly severe torments but refusing to deny his faith. As a reward, God gives him brand-new children to replace the faithless ones whose death was one of the torments.

"Old Adam" is apparently a reference to humans in their unredeemed state, though I don't quite see how that fits into the narrative.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Could Adam's trade be a reference to cider as he ate the apple of sin?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the Job reference is referring more to the mythical 'patience of Job'. It seems to be a shortened version of the expression 'having the patience of Job himself'.

Note to learners - the name 'Job' differs from the noun 'job'. The name is pronounced with a long 'O', and rhymes with 'robe'.

Status
Not open for further replies.