Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Could you please check this essays for errors, if you have got plenty of time ? Thanks.

It was about three month ago that/when my younger sister and I planned to go on holiday by ourselves. It was Dubai that/when we decided to take a trip to, as we heard a lot of interesting things about it, and we hadn’t been there before, so there was also plenty to do. Besides, one of my cousins has lived there for 10 years, so she could show us around the city.

The reason I decided to take a vacation with my sister was that she is/was really fun to be with, and we share/shared similar interest, hobbies, and ideas together. In addition, she does/did crazy things that often make me laugh.

We booked a flight to Dubai, although my country’s air travel is not as safe as it should be at all, but traveling by air is one of the most convenient means of transportation.

As our flight landed, we took a taxi to our hotel where there was a cosmopolitan atmosphere, and the hotel staff were all really helpful and friendly. There was also plenty of shops and restaurant around it for both locals and visitors, and it was only 10-minute walk to an airport, to some night clubs, and to one of the most well-known shopping malls , which made/makes the hotel one of the best resort ones in the city.

We tried to make the most of our trip by doing much sightseeing, visiting beautiful water fountain show and some tourist attractions, having a look around some historical monuments and exploring street markets selling just about everything from apples to antiques.

What I like best/most about that city was that there was a good big mix of people with a wide variety of nationalities and cultures. Local residents were too friendly and spoke English quite well. The city was lively and vibrant. We were having a really lovely time there, and were trying to enjoy ourselves by going for some rides in a theme park , but the weather was so hot and humid that it sometimes irritated us. However, all areas and places were fully equipped with air conditioner, not including the streets! It would have been great if we could have stayed there for a long period of time.

Note that: In some parts of this essays I use both present and past time together and at the same time, because the present was and still is “fact” in my opinion, so I didn’t which tense was more suitable. I always have this problem when I wanted to talk about past events. I am not sure which tense should I use. Please help about it.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Could you please check this essays for errors, if you have got [STRIKE]plenty of[/STRIKE] the time? Thanks.

It was about three months ago that/when my younger sister and I planned to go on holiday by ourselves. It was Dubai that [STRIKE]/when[/STRIKE] we decided to take a trip to, as we had heard a lot of interesting things about it, and we hadn’t been there before, so there was also plenty to do. Besides, one of my cousins has lived there for 10 years, so she could show us around the city.

The reason I decided to take a vacation with my sister was that she is [If your sister is still alive, use a present tense.] [STRIKE]/was[/STRIKE] really fun to be with, and we share [STRIKE]/shared[/STRIKE] similar interest, hobbies, and ideas. [STRIKE]together.[/STRIKE] In addition, she does [STRIKE]/did[/STRIKE] crazy things that often make me laugh. We booked a flight to Dubai with a domestic carrier, although my country’s [STRIKE]air travel[/STRIKE] aviation industry is not as safe as it should be at all, but traveling by air is one of the most convenient ways of getting to Dubai. [STRIKE]means of transportation. As our flight landed,[/STRIKE] After clearing immigration and customs at Dubai Airport, we took a taxi to our hotel, where [STRIKE]there was a cosmopolitan[/STRIKE] the atmosphere was cosmopolitan and the hotel staff [STRIKE]were all[/STRIKE] really helpful and friendly. There [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] were also plenty of shops and restaurants around, [STRIKE]it for both locals and visitors,[/STRIKE] and [STRIKE]it was only 10-minute walk to an airport, to some[/STRIKE] there were night clubs, [STRIKE]and to one of the most[/STRIKE] well-known shopping malls, and other amenities nearby, which made [STRIKE]/makes[/STRIKE] the hotel one of the best I've been to. [STRIKE]resort ones in the city.[/STRIKE]

We tried to make the most of our trip by doing much sightseeing, visiting beautiful water fountain shows and some tourist attractions, having a look around some historical monuments and exploring street markets selling just about everything, from apples to antiques. What I liked best/most about that city was [STRIKE]that there was a good big[/STRIKE] the mix of people [STRIKE]with a[/STRIKE] and the wide variety of nationalities and cultures. Local residents were [STRIKE]too[/STRIKE] very friendly and spoke English quite well. The city was lively and vibrant. We had [STRIKE]were having[/STRIKE] a really lovely time there, and [STRIKE]were [/STRIKE][STRIKE]trying[/STRIKE] tried our best to enjoy ourselves by going for some rides in a theme park, but the weather was so hot and humid that it sometimes irritated us. However, all indoor areas and places in Dubai were fully [STRIKE]equipped with[/STRIKE] air conditioned. [STRIKE], not including the streets![/STRIKE] It would have been great if we could have stayed there for a longer period of time.

Note that: In some parts of this essays I've used both present and past [STRIKE]time[/STRIKE] tenses together and at the same time, because the present simple is used for anything that was and still is “factual, in my opinion, so I didn’t know which tense was more suitable. I always have this problem when I want [STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE] to talk about past events. I am not sure which tense I should use. Please help me. [STRIKE]about it.[/STRIKE].
I don't understand the text in blue. Consider leaving it out.

ambitious-girl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
So so many thanks Teechar. I really appreciate your help. I don't know how I can express my true feeling toward your valuable work.

It was Dubai that /when we decided to take a trip to
Sorry. I meant :" where "

I don't understand the text in blue. Consider leaving it out.

I meant : because we hadn't been in Dubai before, so we had an opportunity to do a lot of thing because we would be able to experience everything new and interesting.

What score do you give me?
:-| (I am not satisfied with my result)​

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
So so many thanks Teechar. I really appreciate your help. I don't know how I can express my true feeling toward your valuable work.
You're very welcome.

Sorry. I meant :" where "
That's possible.

I meant: because we hadn't been [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] to Dubai before, so we had an opportunity to do a lot of things because we would be able to experience
everything new and interesting.

"so there would also likely be plenty to do there."

What score do you give me?
:-| I am not satisfied with my result.
At least 7/10; probably more.

ambitious-girl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
we took a taxi to our hotel, where there was a cosmopolitanthe atmosphere was cosmopolitan and the hotel staff were all really helpful and friendly.
Shouldn't we use 'was' after "the hotel staff"?

At least 7/10; probably more.

Wow! Feeling happy . Thanks teacher. I tough it was about 3 or 4. :)

"Air-conditioned, clearing immigrants and customs, amenities, domestic carrier,aviation industry " these are amazing words and give me informative information that I always wanted to know and use. Thanks again.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Shouldn't we use 'was' after "the hotel staff"?
No, use "were". "Staff" refers to a group of people.

Wow! Feeling happy. Thanks, teechar. I thought it was about 3 or 4. :)
Pay closer attention to your spelling and punctuation, and you'll get an even better mark.
Always go over your own work before submitting it to others.

Air-conditioned, clearing immigrants and customs, amenities, domestic carrier, aviation industry [STRIKE]these[/STRIKE] are amazing words and give me [STRIKE]informative information[/STRIKE] useful vocabulary that I always wanted to know and use. Thanks again.
You're welcome.

yi-ing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
May I ask, in the sentence below, "would" imply "future actions in the trip" or "Certainty about future action"?

"so there would also likely be plenty to do there."

It was Dubai that we decided to take a trip to, as we had heard a lot of interesting things about it, and we hadn’t been there before, so there would also likely be plenty to do there. Besides, one of my cousins has lived there for 10 years, so she could show us around the city.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
In the above, "would" looks at the future from the past.

For example,
Dubai looks interesting, and there will probably be lots of interesting things to do there.

If we look back and say the same sentence a year later, e.g., when reminiscing about that holiday and all the planning for it.

Dubai looked interesting, and there would probably be lots of interesting things to do there.

yi-ing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Dubai looks interesting, and there will probably be lots of interesting things to do there.
So it is about some certainty (will probably) in the future. Thanks.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
It's about expectation.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
No, that's not the case.

yi-ing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
In addition, she does crazy things that often make me laugh. We booked a flight to Dubai with a domestic carrier, although my country’s aviation industry is not as safe as it should be at all, but traveling by air is one of the most convenient ways of getting to Dubai.

Is it possible to use both "although" and "but" together, as you did in the revised version?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Status
Not open for further replies.