• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

It is the same number I am calling from or I have called you from. It must be flashin

A receptionist to a customer over the phone: what is your phone number sir?

The customer: "it is the same number I am calling from or I have called you from. It must be flashing on your screen."

A receptionist to a customer: what is your phone number sir? Is it the same number I am calling?

The customer: yes, it is the same number you have called or the same number I am taking to you through.

Please check my sentences.
    Last edited by tufguy; 15-Jun-2017 at 09:54.

GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: It is the same number I am calling from or I have called you from. It must be fla

In AmE the phone agent usually asks something like "What number is best for me to reach you at? Is it the number you're calling from?"
    I am not a teacher.

tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: It is the same number I am calling from or I have called you from. It must be fla

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    In AmE the phone agent usually asks something like "What number is best for me to reach you at? Is it the number you're calling from?"
    Could you please check my other sentences?

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    A receptionist to a customer over the phone: "What is your phone number, sir?"
    The customer: "It is the same number I am calling [you] from. or I have called you from. It must be flashing on your screen."

A receptionist to a customer: "What is your phone number, sir? Is it the same number I am calling called you on?"
    The customer: "Yes, it is the same number you have called." or the same number I am taking to you through.

Please check my sentences.
    See above.

We have told you time and time again that when you are offering us options to choose from, you have to enclose them in their own set of quotation marks. For example, the first should have looked like this:

The customer: "It is the same number I am calling from. It must be flashing on your screen" or "It is the same number I have called you from. It must be flashing on your screen".

Unless the customer knows what kind of system the receptionist uses, I don't think it's a good idea to assert something like "It must be flashing on your screen". Maybe the system doesn't work that way.

It would be a lot simpler to just give the receptionist the phone number.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.