1. matilda

Talking 187-meltier-than-I-envisioned

Hello all

What does the part in the parentheses mean?
    Sauron attempts to take over the rest of middle earth with his army of (meltier-than-I-envisioned)-them-orcs.

Thank you

matilda

Talking Re: 187-meltier-than-I-envisioned

Well "meltier" I could not find in a dictionary

...in the context of LotR... I guess you could say they "melt away" as in disappear into the darkness or environment?

Chris
    http://www.hearseesay.com

3. matilda

i got it from the story of THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
    i thought it should be correct

4. matilda

i got it . but it was the exact sentence i found in the Internet about the story of THE LORD OF THE RINGS. does anybody else have a new idea?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Wales
      • Current Location:
      • Rwanda

Re: 187-meltier-than-I-envisioned

Quote Originally Posted by matilda
    i got it . but it was the exact sentence i found in the Internet about the story of THE LORD OF THE RINGS. does anybody else have a new idea?
    LOTR, like many fantasy/science fiction/childrens literature, contains words and phrases "invented" by the author, which the author has "borrowed" from other writers in the same genre, or just changed slightly to fit in with the style of the book. The British author Will Self, writing a completely different genre, often does the same thing. Such words and phrases will usually only be included in dictionaries if and when they become widely used by people.

Another example would be acronyms or semi acronyms which develop an identity as a word - e.g. yuppy.