• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bosnian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Maria, the only child of her parents

Would you please correct my sentences in this short text? I am not sure if some of my phrases sound natural, so please would you correct them to make them sound proper English?

Maria, the only child of her parents, returned home in tears after only one week of her marriage.
    "What's wrong, daughter?" her mother asked.
    "My husband wants me to cook every day," she said.
    "You poor soul," her mother said sighing deeply. "I've been doing that for more than 25 years, and you see, I'm still alive and in good health."

teechar is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: Maria, the only child of her parents

Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    Would you please correct my sentences in this short text? I am not sure if some of my phrases sound natural. , so please would you correct themto make them sound proper English?

Maria, the only child of her parents' only child, returned home in tears after only one week of her being married. marriage.

"What's wrong, love?" daughter?" her mother asked.
    "My husband wants me to cook every day," she said.
    "You poor soul," her mother said sighing deeply. "I've been doing that for more than 25 years and, and you see, I'm still alive and kicking!" in good health."

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Maria, the only child of her parents

I wouldn't bother with "of her parents" or "her parents' " where you've got it. I'd say "Maria, an only child, returned home to her parents after ..."

Using the endearment "love" might not work in every variant of English but we certainly wouldn't use "daughter" there. You could stick with just "What's wrong?" or use "What's wrong, Maria?"

I'd change the end of the conversation to "You poor soul! It's the 21st century! Tell him he does half the cooking or the marriage is over. Men!! Honestly!!"
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.