Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Can I say "I was pursuing my graduation when I was eighteen", if I never went to a regular college?

He is pursuing a paths that leads to nowhere.

He is pursuing his master.

Please check my sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can I say "I was pursuing my graduation when I was eighteen", if I never went to a regular college?
No. You can't say it even if you did go to college. You might hear "He is pursuing a degree in law" if someone is currently studying law.
What do you mean by "regular college"?

He is pursuing a paths that leads to nowhere.
No. You have the indefinite singular article before a plural noun, and a preposition which is not needed. And we don't pursue "a path/paths" anyway.

He is pursuing his master.
That's fine if he is a servant and he is chasing his boss. It means nothing if you're talking about education.

Please check my sentences.

See above.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
See above.

Sorry for that "paths" mistake. I wrote path I do not know how it got changed to paths. Could you please tell me the correct way of writing these sentences? No other word apart from "pursue" comes to my mind.

By "regular college" I mean university.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry for that "paths" mistake. I wrote "path". I do not know how it got changed to "paths".
It's just a typo, tufguy. You don't need to invent a magic fairy mysteriously changing the words you typed.

Could you please tell me the correct way of writing these sentences? No other word apart from "pursue" comes to my mind.
I didn't say "pursue" was wrong. I showed you how to use it in post #2.

By "regular college" I mean university.
Then why didn't you write "university"?

See above.

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
See above.

"When he was eighteen he was pursuing degree in B.A from the correspondence university."

"He is pursuing degree in Science although not from the university but from the correspondence university."

Is there a way to say "I was pursuing my graduation at that time" or "I am pursuing my graduation from the correspondence university? (I know its wrong but could you please tell the correct way to me to say this? What is the correct word to use here instead of "pursue"?)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd say that was taking/trying for a degree.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'd say that was taking/trying for a degree.

I was taking/ trying for a degree at that time" or "I am taking/ trying for a degree from the correspondence university.

So we can't use "graduation" in these sentences. Can we say "I completed my graduation from that university" Or "I 'completed' or 'did' my schooling from that school"?

Are my first two sentences correct in post five?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can we say ... "I 'completed' or 'did' my schooling from that school"?
I've underlined two instances of school. Sometimes it's natural to repeat words or parts of words in a sentence. As a general rule, though, whenever you write a sentence that has the same word in it twice (and that word isn't a preposition, an article, or a short helping verb like have, was, or did), you should look closely to see if you need that word both times.

You can often replace a repeated noun with a pronoun like there. For example, you might write I got my degree there​.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was taking/ trying for a degree at that time"
Where are the opening quotation marks that go with the closing quotation marks?

"I am taking/ trying for a degree from the correspondence university.
Where are the closing quotation marks that go with the opening quotation marks?

So we can't use "graduation" in these sentences.
Are you telling us or asking us?

Can we say "I completed my graduation from that university" Or "I 'completed' or 'did' my schooling from that school"?
No. "I graduated from that university". "I completed my schooling at that school". It would be more natural to say "I went to that school".

Are my first two sentences correct in post five?
Neither sentence is correct.
The first is missing a comma and an article, and I have no idea what a "correspondence university" is. Do you mean he is doing his degree remotely (by post/internet)?
The second is missing an article near the beginning. The sentence also uses the definite article incorrectly. See above for my comments about a "correspondence university".

See above.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
See above.

I was "taking" or "trying" for a degree at that time. (Where do I need to put a comma and an article and which article?)

I am "taking" or "trying" for a degree from the correspondence university. (which article is missing? I am confused.)

Can we use "graduation" in these sentences?

A correspondence university (do we call it graduation by post?) is a branch of the university that offers open courses for the students who can't get admission to universities (regular ones) because of their less percentage in 12th board exams. (Could you please check this sentence as well?)

Are my sentences correct now?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.