Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello, everyone.

This dialogue is taken from an American military drama set in Iraq.
A group of marines was told to proceed through the city streets in spite of the fact that there were obvious signs of an ambush.

Group Leader: I think I just agreed to be ambushed.
Marine #1: Why don't we just shoot ourselves and save them the trouble?
Marine #2: Seriously, we are going to get jacked.
Group Leader: Frankly, gentlemen, I'm not hearing the aggression I'd like. Keep scanning.

What does the leader mean? That he wants to get a more angry reaction from his teammates?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Dark_Fury

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It still sounds a little bit unclear to me. One question - is "I'm not hearing the aggression I'd like." equal to "I'm not hearing the aggression I'd like to hear."?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
One question - is "I'm not hearing the aggression I'd like[no full stop here]" equal to "I'm not hearing the aggression I'd like to hear[no full stop here]"?
Yes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes.

[Cross-posted with Rover.]

Dark_Fury

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I figured out what troubled me the most. The leader says he would like to hear stronger verbal aggression from his teammates at the prospect of their group being ambushed -- he thinks they accepted it too well. But in another context, could the phrase "I'm not hearing the aggression I'd like" imply hostility or physical aggression? For example, a team of American football players is about to take the field, their coach: "I'm not hearing the aggression I'd like! I want to see fierce roaring beasts, not members of a chess club!" Here by "I'm not hearing the aggression I'd like" the coach means to say he wants the players to show him how aggressive they are (that is, how angry and ready to fight they are). What do you think?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think you already nailed this in post #1 and should move on.:cool:

Dark_Fury

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Rover, almost there! :)

I'm going to assume there's nothing wrong with my made-up example in my previous post -- a coach could really say something like that. But there's a difference in the meaning, isn't there? The leader in the story says his squadmates should've replied to the news with much more hostility. The coach in my example, on the other hand, says that his players should be more lively, angry, and ready to tear some heads off in the upcoming match. The same phrase, but different kinds of aggression, am I correct?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I figured out what troubled me the most. The leader says he would like to hear stronger verbal aggression from his teammates at the prospect of their group being ambushed -- he thinks they accepted it too well. But in another context, could the phrase "I'm not hearing the aggression I'd like" imply hostility or physical aggression? For example, a team of American football players is about to take the field, their coach: "I'm not hearing the aggression I'd like! I want to see fierce roaring beasts, not members of a chess club!" Here by "I'm not hearing the aggression I'd like" the coach means to say he wants the players to show him how aggressive they are (that is, how angry and ready to fight they are). What do you think?

Yes, but in this case the first comment is defeatist and the second not much better. I'd rather have soldiers around me who wanted to fight.

Dark_Fury

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Tdol, now I got confused. Can you state clearly what the group leader wants from his subordinates? In you own words, please.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm not hearing the aggression I'd like.

and

I'm not seeing the aggression I'd like.

are not exactly the same. Is this the distinction you're trying to make? Regardless, the group leader wants to be sure his group will act aggressively when the time comes for combat.

Dark_Fury

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Oh my, I've posted my interpretation three times but no one said it was wrong! Were they so ambiguous?
Dark_Fury said:
What does the leader mean? That he wants to get a more angry reaction from his teammates?
Dark_Fury said:
The leader says he would like to hear stronger verbal aggression from his teammates at the prospect of their group being ambushed
Dark_Fury said:
The leader in the story says his squadmates should've replied to the news with much more hostility.
I thought the leader wanted to hear much more swearing from them. However, I sensed there was something wrong with it. That's why made up the example with football players. Now the line is much clearer to me. Thank you, jutfrank.

Now If you'll excuse me, I would like to understand the phrase better. I made up these examples, are they correct?
I'm not hearing the enthusiasm I'd like.
I'm not hearing the cheerfulness I'd like.
I'm not hearing the disappointment I'd like.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Tdol, now I got confused. Can you state clearly what the group leader wants from his subordinates? In you own words, please.

He wants aggression. He doesn't want defeatism or weakness. He wants fighters and killers.

Status
Not open for further replies.