• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bosnian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Bob wished he had been born Thomas Edison

I am posting this sentence because I am not sure if it makes sense in English. I just want to see where I made a mistake. I am not sure if the second part "and would have been able to invent..." is the correct tense.

Bob wished he had been born Thomas Edison and would have been able to invent all kinds of things and help humankind.

emsr2d2 is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Bob wished he had been born Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    I am posting this sentence because I am not sure if it makes sense in English. I just want to see where I made a mistake. I am not sure if the second part "and would have been able to invent..." is the correct tense.

Bob wished he had been born Thomas Edison and would have been able to invent could have invented all kinds of the things Edison did and to help humankind mankind.
    See above. A small number of people might prefer "humankind" to the more common "mankind" but I don't. You could avoid the issue completely by saying "all the very/incredibly useful things ...".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.