Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Please help me make the paragraphs below sound natural. Thanks a lot.

On March 10, in the beginning of this semester, there was a group of about 30 students of a Danish senior high school, Allerod Gymnasium, visiting several high schools here in our city as a cultural exchange activity. Our school was their final stop, so we arranged for the same number of students to give our distinguished guests a cordial reception. After making a presentation and showing them around our campus, each student was paired with another to do some free talking. After an exchange of civilities, I found the conversation became stilled and periods of silence followed. This resulted in moments of embarrassment for everyone.

Viewing the awkward situation, I mustered up my courage and stepped bravely through the crowd. I gave the students occasional prompts of familiar topics, like favorite food, singers, etc. to ensure the conversation continued smoothly. However, I couldn’t motivate the students to engage in free expression due to their limited ability and lack of confidence. It was a pity that the free exchanging of ideas didn’t come alive.

Later, when I went back to the multiple-purpose hall, I saw three Danish head teachers that seemed to be excluded from the activity. They were sitting alone without anyone to talk to. It made me think of the true meaning of hospitality. I pondered: isn’t it all about making people feel at home when they are not? A good host never makes his guests feel snubbed, so I volunteered my services. I stepped forward and said hello, and began to socialize with them. The following was a conversation between the Danes (D) and me (T).

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
On March 10, [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at the beginning of this semester, there was a group of about 30 students [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] from a Danish senior high school, Allerod Gymnasium, visiting several high schools here in our city as part of a cultural-exchange activity. Our school was their final stop, so we arranged for the same number of students to give our distinguished guests a cordial reception. After [STRIKE]making[/STRIKE] a short presentation and showing them around our campus, each Danish student was paired with one of our own [STRIKE]another[/STRIKE] to chat about different things. [STRIKE]do some free talking.[/STRIKE] After an exchange of civilities, I found the conversation became stilted and periods of silence followed. This resulted in moments of embarrassment for everyone.

Viewing the awkward situation, I mustered up my courage and stepped bravely through the crowd. I gave the students occasional prompts [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] for some familiar topics, like favorite food, singers, etc. to ensure the conversation continued smoothly. However, I couldn’t motivate the students to engage in free expression due to their limited ability and lack of confidence. It was a pity that the free exchanging of ideas didn’t come alive.

Later, when I went back to the school's multipurpose hall, I saw three Danish head teachers that seemed to be excluded from the activity. They were sitting alone without anyone to talk to. It made me think of the true meaning of hospitality. I pondered: isn’t it all about making people feel at home when they are not? A good host never makes his guests feel snubbed, so I volunteered my services. I stepped forward and said hello, and began to socialize with them. The following was the conversation between the Danes (D) and me (T).

Status
Not open for further replies.