• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Question RE: Ellipsis Spaces (Question)

Hi again,

I have been adding some more ideas to a short story I have nearly finished. Mostly punctuation amendments.

And so, I have a slightly new (with respect to an earlier thread) ellipsis question to pose if you don't mind:

I also felt a certain warmness (if that is the correct term?) from the light buzzing of the charging Ď919í device. Perhaps I mean I experienced a glowness, from within? I am not sure, sorry, itís difficult to say.

(...i wanted to be near, i wanted, near, to be...buz buzzzzz...Liz, do you not hear? do you not feel?...buz buz...)

Eventually, I drifted into the abstract world of the higher consciousness and connected with Liz - for a brief time at least. She was waiting for me. She recognized me. Thatís why I love her

My question relates to the middle paragraph (in italics and parentheses), please. I have added to two either-side purely for the sake of context. In short, the man is experiencing a 'connection' between him, his girlfriend, and a computer device (which is on-charge - and buzzing). Have I written this (i.e. the above) correctly with respect to the ellipses? Here, I have left no spaces between them or the adjoining words.

As a slightly alternative method, I think someone also suggested that it is permissible to place a space (rhyme not intended!) either side of the ellipsis?:

(... i wanted to be near, i wanted, near, to be ... buz buzzzzz ... Liz, do you not hear? do you not feel? ... buz buz ...)

Or perhaps they meant a space (only) at the END of each ellipsis?:

(... i wanted to be near, i wanted, near, to be... buz buzzzzz... Liz, do you not hear? do you not feel?... buz buz...)

Anyway, I look forward to receiving any advice.

Paul

Last edited by monsterjazzlicks; 26-Jun-2017 at 14:42. Reason: Title/Subject
    Mature student of GCSE English, GCSE Maths, and Level One BSL.

I am not a teacher.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Ellipsis Spaces (Question)

As far as I'm concerned, there should always be a space before the dots and another space after as long as the next thing to come is a letter. If what appears after an ellipsis is a punctuation mark, there should not be a space after the ellipsis.

I said ... I thought ... what was I saying?
    What is the ...?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

monsterjazzlicks is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Ellipsis Spaces (Question)

emsr - OK, thanks. I will stick to what you have kindly suggested. To me, what you have written looks correct.
    Mature student of GCSE English, GCSE Maths, and Level One BSL.

I am not a teacher.