• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

I haven't seen you in a long time. How have you been.

If I meet someone after a long time can I say "I haven't seen you in a long time. How have you been?" or "We haven't met in a long while. How have you been?"

Can we also say "I didn't see you for a long time. Where were you?"?

When we say "Haven't seen you in a long while" it means we have finally met that person.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 27-Jun-2017 at 11:37. Reason: Enlarged font to make post readable

GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I haven't seen you in a long time. How have you been.

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    If I meet someone after a long time can I say "I haven't seen you in a long time. How have you been?" or "We haven't met in a long while. How have you been?"

Can we also say "I didn't see you for a long time. Where were you?"? (The simple past doesn't work here.)

When we say "Haven't seen you in a long while" it means we have finally met that person.
    In this context, we only use meet to mean "encounter for the first time". We often use it to mean "get together in a specified place": You're going to the concert too? Great! I'll meet you there. Let's meet at the concession stand at eight thirty.

When a quoted sentence ends the sentence it's quoted in, don't repeat the final punctuation.
    I am not a teacher.

tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    In this context, we only use meet to mean "encounter for the first time". We often use it to mean "get together in a specified place": You're going to the concert too? Great! I'll meet you there. Let's meet at the concession stand at eight thirty.

When a quoted sentence ends the sentence it's quoted in, don't repeat the final punctuation.

So only first sentence can be used. Other sentences don't work at all. Why, could you please tell it to me? Because if we say "I didn't see you for a while where were you" it means we didn't meet that person for a while. Why is it incorrect? Is there any other thing that we can say?
    Last edited by tufguy; 27-Jun-2017 at 19:59.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Please add all the missing punctuation between the word "Because" and the word "incorrect".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    So only the first sentence can be used. The other sentences don't work at all. Why, c Could you please tell it to me why? Because if we say "I didn't see you for a while. Where were you?" it means we haven't seen didn't meet that person for a while. Why is it incorrect? Is there any other thing that we can say?
    See above. Note that I changed "didn't meet" to haven't seen, changing both the tense and the verb. As I said in a previous post, we don't use "meet" to mean encounter except when it's for the first time (I'd like you to meet my friend Deepak) or when you're arranging to get together (Let's meet at the concert!). We use the present perfect ("haven't seen") to describe something that happened in the past at an indefinite time.
    I am not a teacher.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

It's your lucky night, tufguy. GoesStation just fixed all those punctuation errors for you before you had a chance to do it yourself as I requested.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    It's your lucky night, tufguy. GoesStation just fixed all those punctuation errors for you before you had a chance to do it yourself as I requested.
    Sorry. Tufguy actually had edited the post with missing punctuation after you posted your request for him to do so. I thought he had added a few bits of punctuation but had missed quite a lot. Now that I think about it, his edit posted only five minutes after your post and probably had nothing to do with it.
    I am not a teacher.

tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Sorry for those mistakes. The temperature was so high my brain wasn't working yesterday. I somehow managed to reply.