• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

what is more it has been linked with increased incidence of TYPE 2 diabetes.

Main sentence:

Eating too much sugar leads to overweight, and also damages the teeth, and what is more it has been linked with increased incidence of TYPE 2 diabetes.

Can we rewrite the sentence above in following ways:

Eating too much sugar leads to overweight, and also damages the teeth. What is more, it has been linked with increased incidence of TYPE 2 diabetes.

Eating too much sugar leads to overweight, and also damages the teeth; what is more, it has been linked with increased incidence of TYPE 2 diabetes.

Eating too much sugar leads to overweight, and also damages the teeth, what is more, it has been linked with increased incidence of TYPE 2 diabetes.

Could anyone please tell me what the difference between adverb and sentence adverb is?
    For example, "however" is an adverb , but "what is more and furthermore" are sentence adverbs. I don't know what the right position of them is within sentences.
    Last edited by ambitious-girl; 27-Jun-2017 at 17:53.

ambitious-girl is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Re: what is more it has been linked with increased incidence of TYPE 2 diabetes.

I have studied "conjunctive adverbs and their punctuation". Now these are my analysis. Is it correct?

Eating too much sugar leads to overweight, and also damages the teeth. What is more, it has been linked with increased incidence of TYPE 2 diabetes.

Eating too much sugar leads to overweight, and also damages the teeth; what is more, it has been linked with increased incidence of TYPE 2 diabetes.

Eating too much sugar leads to overweight, and also damages the teeth, what is more, it has been linked with increased incidence of TYPE 2 diabetes.

Eating too much sugar leads to overweight, and also damages the teeth, and what is more it has been linked with increased incidence of TYPE 2 diabetes.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: what is more it has been linked with increased incidence of TYPE 2 diabetes.

I don't like this:
    Eating too much sugar leads to overweight,
    It would work with a noun like obesity or a phrase like people being overweight.

Skrej is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

You asked about 'overweight' as a noun in this thread. I think the consensus was that while it may be technically permissible according to the dictionary, it's not mainstream usage yet. I continue to suggest you not use it as such.
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!