• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

bothered to do

In a YouTube video, a mother complained to the teacher of her son Dan,age of child, that he had been kicked by his classmate Timothy at school. The teacher replied there hadn't been such a trouble and said he would keep an eye on the two boys.
    "You teachers have your favorites", remarked the mother and added, "You just can't be bothered to do your jobs properly."

When I read the last sentence which was actually the subtitles, I could not make sense.

"You just can't be bothered if you do your jobs properly." is the same?

teechar is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: bothered to do

Quote Originally Posted by warmwinter View Post
    In a YouTube video, a mother complains to the her son Dan's teacher of her son Dan,age of child, that he had been kicked by his classmate Timothy at school. The teacher replied says there hadn't been such trouble and said he would keep an eye on the two boys.
    "You teachers have your favorites", remarked the mother and added, "You just can't be bothered to do your jobs properly."

When I read the last sentence, which was actually in the subtitles, I could not make sense of it.

Does it mean "You just can't be bothered if you do your jobs properly?" is the same?
    No. The expression "can't be bothered" means is not prepared to put in the (necessary) effort.