Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
This is my fourth attempt at writing in English. Please correct any mistakes.
A hero

What is heroes? Who is a hero? Is Spiderman who has the ability of jumping between high buildings, a hero? A firefighter? A policeman? There are many heroes over the world.
Many slaves called Harriet Tubman to be a hero. Hariet Tubman is African-American. She was born in Maryland in 1820. There are eleven people in her family, and they were slaves. Harriet wanted to be free. She got away from slave owner and ran away to the north.
Harriet also helped others to be free. She went back and forth thirteen times between the north and the south. She led 300 slaves to the north by taking them to a place called Railroad. Railroad is a safe house. She took them from this Railroad to another Railroad. When they reached to the north, they were free.
Harriet also were a speaker. After civil war, she reached easten states of america to speech about the right of women. She firmly supported for the right of the vote of women.
She represent strongly for the bravery of woman. She passed away in 1913 in NewYork.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
This is my fourth attempt at writing in English. Please correct any mistakes you find.
A hero

What is a hero? Who is a hero? Is Spiderman, who has the ability [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] to jump between high buildings, a hero? Are firefighters or policemen heroes? There are many heroes [STRIKE]over[/STRIKE] in the world.

To many North American slaves, [STRIKE]called[/STRIKE] Harriet Tubman [STRIKE]to be[/STRIKE] was a hero. Harriet Tubman [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was an African-American woman. She was born in Maryland in 1820. There [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] were eleven people in her family, and they were (all) slaves. Harriet wanted to be free. She got away from the slave owner and ran away to the north.

Harriet also helped others to be free. She went back and forth thirteen times between the north and the south. She led 300 slaves to the north by taking them to safe houses which were part of a secret network called the Underground [STRIKE]a place called[/STRIKE] Railroad. [STRIKE]Railroad is a safe house.[/STRIKE] She took them from [STRIKE]this Railroad[/STRIKE] one safe house to another. [STRIKE]Railroad.[/STRIKE] When they reached [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] the north, they were free.

Harriet also [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE] was an influential speaker. After the Civil War, she reached the eastern states of America to [STRIKE]speech[/STRIKE] speak about the rights of women. She firmly supported [STRIKE]for the right of the vote of[/STRIKE] women's right to vote.

[STRIKE]She represent strongly for the bravery[/STRIKE] Tubman was the epitome of a brave and heroic woman. She passed away in 1913 in New York.

toanhntm

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
This is my fourth attempt at writing in English. Please correct any mistakes you find.
A hero

What is a hero? (May I use heroes? A Plural noun uses to refer a common noun?) Who is a hero? Is Spiderman, who has the ability of to jump between high buildings, a hero? Are firefighters (Firefighters are common noun because we use plural noun, right?) or policemen heroes? There are many heroes over in the world.

To many North American slaves, Harriet Tubman was a hero (Can I write: Many North America slaves called Harriet Tubman to be a hero?) . Harriet Tubman is was an African-American woman (I use present simple because this is a reality, right?. In the past, she was an African-American woman. Now, she is an African-American woman. In the future, She is still an African-American woman). She was born in Maryland in 1820. There were eleven people in her family, and they were (all) slaves. Harriet wanted to be free. She got away from the slave owner and ran away to the north.

Harriet also helped others to be free. She went back and forth thirteen times between the north and the south. She led 300 slaves to the north by taking them to safe houses which were part of a secret network called the Underground. She took them from one safe house to another. When they reached the north, they were free.

Harriet also was an influential speaker. After the Civil War, she reached the eastern states of America to speak about the rights of women. She firmly supported women's right to vote.

Tubman was the epitome of a brave and heroic woman. She passed away in 1913 in New York.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is a hero? (May I use heroes? A Plural noun uses to refer a common noun?) You could use "What are heroes?" but I prefer the singular version.

Who is a hero? Is Spiderman, who has the ability of to jump between high buildings, a hero? Are firefighters (Firefighters are common noun because we use plural noun, right?) or policemen heroes? There are many heroes over in the world.
I don't understand your point. "Firefighter" is a common noun simply because it is! It has nothing to do with plurals. It's a countable noun, that's why it can be turned into the plural.

To many North American slaves, Harriet Tubman was a hero (Can I write: Many North America slaves called Harriet Tubman to be a hero?) . No, you can't. You can say "considered her to be a hero" but "called her to be a hero" is ungrammatical.

Harriet Tubman is was an African-American woman (I use present simple because this is a reality, right?. In the past, she was an African-American woman. Now, she is an African-American woman. In the future, She is still an African-American woman). She's dead so you have to use the past tense.

See my responses above in red.

toanhntm

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
To many North American slaves, Harriet Tubman was a hero (Can I write: Many North America slaves called Harriet Tubman to be a hero?). No, you can't. You can say "considered her to be a hero" but "called her to be a hero" is ungrammatical. (I read a newspaper, they wrote: “Many slaves called Harriet Tubman a hero”. I think that I write “Many North America slaves called Harriet Tubman” to be a hero the same as that. Please explain it to me, thanks)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Many slaves called her a hero. :tick:
Many slaves called her to be a hero. :cross:

toanhntm

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank emsr2d2. Can you explain it to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Simply, we "call someone something". The "something" can be a noun or an adjective.

She called me a coward.
I called my sister an idiot.
He calls his dog "Bob".
She called her cousin ugly. As a result, her cousin called her rude.

Status
Not open for further replies.