Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,

I see phrase "this alone shows" is used often, though maybe not very often. An example:

I found just a couple of mistakes in the manuscript. This alone shows that it's almost ready.​

Of course the sentence might be written in many other ways, but it's not the point now. Now I want to learn whether this phrase in the above example is idiomatic. What are your general feelings about this... saying? phrase? not idiom, right? Does it sound OK or rather clumsy?

Thanks,
nyggus

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Your sentences do not need "this alone shows". It is completely understandable without it.

I found just a couple of mistakes in the manuscript. This shows that it's almost ready (for printing).

Usually this phrase (it is not an idiom as there is no hidden meaning to the words) is usually used when one thing or individual stands out from other alternatives.

For example:

You have experience as a labour negotiator. This alone shows that you should be the person to represent the company in this dispute.

Johnny is doing poorly in school. He has been caught shoplifting candy from a convenience store. However he has been kind to Mrs. Smith by cutting her grass in summer and shoveling snow from her walk in winter. He takes no money for this work. This alone shows us that we should take a second look at the character of this boy and not automatically judge him as a problem child.

Status
Not open for further replies.