• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

They aren't doing anything vs They don't do anything

I'd like to ask you a question, which I find confusing. I know the general use of these tenses, however in some cases they're conceived relatively. I'm going to show you an example.

- This government is the worst that we've ever had. Not only have they increased bureaucracy, but also they've released new taxes. There are too many ministers. They aren't doing anything except stealing or They don't do anything except stealing. And the truth is that they're making the same mistakes, which the opposition made or They make the same mistakes.

I assume that the present progressive can work out here, because the term of the government lasts for 4 years, so we can understand that these negative actions won't last forever.
    However they (politicians) might do it regularly.
    Please, help me.

teechar is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: They aren't doing anything vs They don't do anything

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner1999 View Post
    I'd like to ask you a question about a point which I find confusing. I know the general use of these tenses. However in some cases, they're conceived relatively. [What does that mean?] I'm going to show you an example.

- This government is the worst that we've ever had. Not only have they increased bureaucracy, but they've also they've released introduced new taxes. There are too many ministers. They aren't doing anything except stealing or They don't do anything except do nothing but steal. ing. And the truth is that they're making the same mistakes which the opposition made. or They make the same mistakes.

I assume that the present progressive can work out here, because the term of the government lasts for 4 years. , so we can understand that these negative actions won't last forever.
    However they (politicians) might do it regularly.
    Please, help me.
    Yes, it's okay to have a mix of tenses in a single paragraph.

Gunner1999 is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: They aren't doing anything vs They don't do anything

Could you explain me why you used ,,They do nothing, but steal"? And why ,,They're making the same mistakes"?
    Thanks