Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    englishhobby's Avatar
    englishhobby is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,886

    people from diverse backgrounds

    Does this sentence sound natural? (It's from a course book I'm editing that hasn't been published yet.)
    It's a great way to meet Australians and other people from diverse backgrounds, to promote cultural exchange (corrected) and experience a different way of life.
    Last edited by englishhobby; 09-Jul-2017 at 10:27.
    If I were a native speaker of English, I would never shut up. :-)

  2. #2
    Lynxear's Avatar
    Lynxear is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    492

    Re: people from diverse backgrounds

    I would remove "other" and change the last part of the sentence

    It's a great way to meet Australians and people from diverse backgrounds, as well as promoting cultural exchange and experiencing a different way of life.

  3. #3
    tedmc is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,874

    Re: people from diverse backgrounds

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynxear View Post
    I would remove "other" and change the last part of the sentence

    It's a great way to meet Australians and people from diverse backgrounds, as well as promoting cultural exchange and experiencing a different way of life.
    Wouldn't it be better to be consistent to follow the infinitive form of the verb in the second part of the sentence?

    It's a great way to meet Australians and people from diverse backgrounds, as well as to promote cultural exchange and to experience a different way of life.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

  4. #4
    Lynxear's Avatar
    Lynxear is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    492

    Re: people from diverse backgrounds

    Quote Originally Posted by tedmc View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to be consistent to follow the infinitive form of the verb in the second part of the sentence?

    It's a great way to meet Australians and people from diverse backgrounds, as well as to promote cultural exchange and to experience a different way of life.
    No, this is not better. "As well as" is a multi-word preposition. You don't use infinitives after prepositions. Gerunds are used here.

    Also speaking as a native English speaker the sentence as I have written it flows better as you read or say the words.

    However as I revisit the sentence I should omit the comma. It is unnecessary

    It's a great way to meet Australians and people from diverse backgrounds as well as promoting cultural exchange and experiencing a different way of life.

  5. #5
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25,679

    Re: people from diverse backgrounds

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynxear View Post
    You don't use infinitives after prepositions. Gerunds are used here.
    I'd question that. You might still be right if "as well as" is not a preposition.
    "I'm going to Australia to experience a different way of life as well as to promote cultural exchange."
    Also:
    https://ludwig.guru/s/as+well+as+to+build

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •