• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

making a tribute to nature

Central Park is the most popular attractions in New York City. About 130 years ago Frederic Law Olmsted and his collaborator Calvert Vaux submitted their landscaping plan for a rectangular parcel two miles north of the town’s center. The barren swampy tract, home for squatters and a boneboiling works that made glue, was reported as 'a pestilential spot where miasmic odors taint every breath of air "It took 16 years for workers with pickaxes and shovels to move 5 million cubic feet of earth and rock, and to plant half a million trees and shrubs, making a tribute to nature - a romantic nineteenth-century perception of nature.

A. I would like to know the meaning of "1".
    1. making a tribute to nature - a romantic nineteenth-century perception of nature.
    B. I wonder if "making" means "a", "b" or anything.
    a. in making
    b. thus making
    C. I wonder why "-" between "nature" and "a romantic" is used.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 11-Jul-2017 at 22:15. Reason: Enlarged font and removed non-functioning HTML

Lynxear is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: making a tribute to nature

A. I would like to know the meaning of "1".
    1. making a tribute to nature - a romantic nineteenth-century perception of nature.
    a. in making
    b. thus making
    First of all, the way you lay out your questions is quite confusing. This layout is much clearer

A. I would like to know the meaning of "making a tribute to nature - a romantic nineteenth-century perception of nature."

a. in making
    b. thus making

Question A

When the first proposal for creating Central Park was made around 1890, this part of New York was an ugly swamp, an eyesore. The 1890's is toward the end of the nineteen century. Those the USA was not part of Britain or Europe or Europe in general, there must have been some desire to reclaim this plot of land and restore it to a beautiful garden park. The romance aspect comes from the fact that such parks were often used for romantic walks by young lovers of the times.

Question B

"Making" in this sense is a participle at the start of a participle phrase used to describe the result of the 16 years of restoring the swamp land.

Question C

The dash after nature in "tribute to nature - a romantic nineteenth-century perception of nature" is used to separate a comment to further describe "nature" in more detail.

Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: making a tribute to nature

Welcome to the forum, 65ysmkm.

Always tell us the source and author of any text you quote, please.

There are at least four mistakes in your quoted paragraph. Are they yours or the author's?