• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

How to learn English effectively?

First of All, I don't really know what exactly my English Level is, but, recently I have been learning English for nearly 2 months, truly and seriously. however, I sometimes felt very depressed as I thought my English level is not in progress very well.

I am wondering how we can learn English effectively if I am able to study English every single day, and I am setting up a goal for me to speak to foreigners fluently in 3 months.

how many vocabularies should I memorise each day?
    What is the best learning plan of a day?

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: How to learn English effectively?

Quote Originally Posted by Markchoi1992 View Post
    First of all, I don't really know what exactly what my English level is, but (no comma here) recently I have been learning English for nearly 2 months, truly and seriously studying very hard. However, I sometimes felt feel very depressed as I thought don't think my English level is not in progressing very well.

I am wondering how we I can learn English effectively if I am able to study English every single day. and I am setting up myself a goal for me to speak to foreigners fluently in 3 months.

How many much vocabularies vocabulary should I memorise each day?

What is the best daily learning plan? of a day?
    My first piece of advice is to forget your goal of speaking fluently in three months! Unless you're a genius, that's just not going to happen. Learning a language is a slow process and you need to be patient.

What textbooks are you using to study? Do you go to classes? Do you have some native English speakers around you who can help you with your conversational English?

It's not a question of just learning vocabulary. Make sure you read in English as much as possible - choose good online newspapers, see if you can borrow books in English from the library (there are things called "Easy Readers" which are written in simple English). When you find a word you don't understand, look it up in your dictionary (an English-only dictionary, which gives definitions) and perhaps try to memorise a complete sentence containing the word, so that you have some context.

Note my corrections to your post above.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 22-Jul-2017 at 08:14.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Markchoi1992 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Thank you for the correction of my thread. I have no native English speaker around me so that it will be much more difficult for me to speak, and I also start reading books in English and I am just a self-learner for English but got tonnes of text book, which relates to English Grammar or Vocabulary.
    I rather like grammar than other parts of English, such as speaking and writing etc Although my grammar is not good enough so far.

Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Watch English-language movies.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

MattHogan is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

There are many ways and techniques followed by users to learn English effectively. It totally depends upon their convenience. I suggest normally to go with Mobile app. There are many apps in the app market where you can learn languages effectively. As mobile is very handy to carry I prefer this option.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

how many vocabularies should I memorise each day?
    It is far more efficient to learn the many ways that individual words can be used than to try to learn long lists. Most native speakers use a fairly small active vocabulary. You can expand your passive vocabulary by reading and listening.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

PS Three months, even studying intensively, is not a long time with a language. It takes native speakers far longer than that.

probus is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    PS Three months, even studying intensively, is not a long time with a language. It takes native speakers far longer than that.
    True. But if you have previously learned the sound system well enough to hear, and acquired basic grammar and vocabulary, three months of immersion can do miracles for fluency.

Markchoi1992 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by probus View Post
    True. But if you have previously learned the sound system well enough to hear, and acquired basic grammar and vocabulary, three months of immersion can do miracles for fluency.
    I would say that my English, I reckon, should be at the intermediate level, and at present, I am digging into English Grammar and vocabulary. Although tonnes of people told me you should not concentrate my attention on Grammar, I do not know really why and I just love learning Grammar.
    Anyway, My Grammar is still so bad haha

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I would say that my English (no comma here) I reckon, should be at the is about intermediate level (no comma here) and, at present, I am digging into English grammar and vocabulary. Although tonnes lots of people have told me you I should not concentrate my attention on grammar, I do not really know really why. and I just love learning grammar.
    Anyway However, my grammar is still so very bad. Ha ha!
    See my corrections above. You certainly need to work on your capitalisation. Also (and I can't believe we haven't pointed this out before), your title is not grammatically correct. We don't start questions with "How to". Your title should have been "How can I learn English effectively?"
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last