• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Usage of to

''When Thatcher came to power in 1979, she immediately curtailed the freedom of local authorities to determine their own levels of spending''

I know that ''to'' can be used instead of ''in order to'' But this sentence, I am confused, because I think there are two possible use of ''to'' in this sentence.

Writer may have said that ''in order to determine.'' She curtailed it because she wants to determine their own levels of spending.

Another possible meaning is that she curtailed it because she does not want them to determine their own levels of spending.

I could not find an explanation which gives me a usage like ''Curtail something or somebody to do something.''

I can not distinguish one from other in this sentence. I think it is about general knowledge.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Usage of to

It's connected to "the freedom". We have "the freedom to + verb".

The local authorities used to have the freedom to determine their own levels of spending. Thatcher curtailed that freedom.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.