• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Returning players have seen a lot of this game before

The comment on the video game 'Mario Kart 8 Deluxe' from ign.com, it says:

The Verdict
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is an amazing game for all the same reasons I mentioned in our original review. It’s still a gorgeous kart racer and every bit as addictive as it was in 2014. This is the best entry in the series so far, and it has all the content you’ll need. Returning players have seen a lot of this game before, but the overhauled Battle mode and its five additional ways to play are a great reason to pick it up. Nintendo didn’t do enough to make the online experience better, but the rest of this game holds up well.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/...-deluxe-review

-------------
    why not every bit is as addictive as it was in 2014?

what does 'a lot of this game' mean?
    why not a lot of these games?
    ('a lot of + plural noun')

Would you please help me?
    Thanks!

PS I also posted the same question on this, but all of your answers are unique to me. Hope we can discuss with each other. Thank you.
    I'm not a teacher. Please feel free to correct me. :)

Lynxear is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Returning players have seen a lot of this game before

Try this. Remove the words "still a gorgeous kart racer". Now read the result.

"It’s every bit as addictive as it was in 2014."

"It’s every bit is as addictive as it was in 2014."

Is your sentence grammatical now? No, it would be if the sentence was "Every bit is as addictive as it was in 2014."

To do what you suggest there would have to be two sentences. At least this is how I would probably write it.

It’s still a gorgeous kart racer. Every bit is as addictive as it was in 2014.

However, be aware that you have subtly changed the meaning of the word "bit"

In the original sentence "bit" refers to the experience as a whole. Your change would make "bit" refer to every small segment of the game. Do you see the difference?

"Returning players have seen a lot of this game before"

In other words, much of this game is the similar to previous Mario Kart games. They have just enhanced this game and probably provided new scenarios for the players to explore. Why is this important? It is important because it means that the player does not have to relearn aspects of the game such as how the controllers work or how to create your character, for example.

If you use the phrase "a lot of these games", you are referring to games of a similar type but from other companies as well, not the upgrades to this game.