• Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

1st sentence in present perfect continuous and 2nd sentence in simple past

Every Monday, my non-native English speaking friends and I meet and learn English from one another in one of our houses. We have learned that "Over/During/In" can be used interchangeably. In our discussion last Monday, we made up an example as shown below. We all agreed that the tense in the first sentence is OK. However, we did not know how to fix the tense in the second sentence.

(ex) Over/During/In the last few weeks, we have been collecting data from people using questionnaires. When we finished our data collection two days ago, we found some misprints in the questions.

The present perfect continuous "have been collecting" suggests that our data collection started at some point in the past and continues until right now. The simple past in the next sentence indicates that our collection ended two days ago. This contradicts with the fact that our collection continues until now.

How can we fix the problem with the tenses? Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 23-Jul-2017 at 08:27. Reason: Enlarging font size.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: 1st sentence in present perfect continuous and 2nd sentence in simple past

'When we checked the data we collected two days ago, we found some misprints.'
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

ansonguy is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Thank you, bhaisahab, for editing my second sentence. May I ask you one more question before I leave my post? Based on your editing, does it mean that the tenses in my sentences are OK? Please answer my question. Thanks again.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

With the modifications I have made it's fine.
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer