• Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

If staging is present then all planks should be individually cleaned and turned

Hello.

If staging is present then all planks should be individually cleaned and turned, all unplugged ends must be cleaned and plugged (plugging is not sufficient), any staging must also be adjusted to ensure that it is not too close to the surface to be coated creating shadows and blind spots.

In my opinion, the above sentence means "If staging is present, then all planks should be individually cleaned and machined, all unplugged ends must be cleaned and plugged (plugging is not sufficient), any staging must also be adjusted to ensure that it is not too close to the surface that is to be coated , creating shadows and blind spots".

I guess that staging (or scaffolding) should not create shadows or blind spots.

What do you think?

Thank you.

J&K Tutoring Guest

Re: If staging is present then all planks should be individually cleaned and turned

You are correct in that the staging should not create shadows or blind spots.

I don't understand what "plugging" means in the context of staging planks, though I suspect "machined" is not correct.

Lynxear is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: If staging is present then all planks should be individually cleaned and turned

The scaffolding would probably consist of horizontal planks to stand on and vertical/horizontal pipe in a rectangular frame on each end of the plank. The pipes may be sharp at the ends and of course accumulate dust and dirt the the open ends. So they must be plugged to prevent that accumulation and also make them safer to work around.

"Machined" means to take (plane) a small layer off each side of the plank to remove contamination, paint etc.
    Experience is recognizing a mistake the second time you make it.
    You don't go to an Englishman when you want good pierogi.

- Wisdom from my father

J&K Tutoring Guest

1. If wooden boards are machined (planed, to use Lynxear's term), the grit and dirt to be removed would instantly destroy the cutting tools doing the machining unless "machining" could be expanded to included sanding, but foreign material also reduces the effectiveness of sandpaper.
    2. The machining would diminish the thickness of the planks, thereby reducing their effectiveness in providing a margin of safety in supporting the workers.
    3. The cost of removing, transporting, machining, and reinstalling wooden planks would probably exceed the cost of simply replacing them with new.

So I very much doubt Lynxear's explanation of "machining". I think rather the word "machining" is a poor translation. The idea of the OP is that the planks are to be "cleaned" (OP) in such a way as to prevent the possibility of residue left from surface cleaning, prep, and perhaps some previous use from contaminating the new paint. I think wooden surfaces can be cleaned by high-pressure spray and then turned over to expose a new, dry surface (assuming the previous underside was clean).

Lynxear is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I have another thought as to what "machined" means. It could mean "sanding" with a powered hand sanding tool. In English we don't think of "machining" something as "sanding" but in this case this is what they might mean.

What exactly are you doing JaceK1 that required this kind of special care?
    Experience is recognizing a mistake the second time you make it.
    You don't go to an Englishman when you want good pierogi.

- Wisdom from my father