• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

grouping small spots into larger squared off blast areas - whole sentence

Hello.

The photo on the right shows the correct repair procedure grouping small spots into larger squared off blast areas.

This morning I asked you a question about "square up".

This time I would like to ask about above sentence that contains "squared off".

Does it mean that "The photo on the right shows the correct repair procedure according to which small spots are grouped into larger blast areas that are formed into squares"?

I am sorry but I can't post the photo.

I promise not to pester you with my troublesome questions any longer tonight.

What do you think?

Thank you.

Lynxear is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: grouping small spots into larger squared off blast areas - whole sentence

Without the picture I cannot imagine what "grouping small spots into larger squared off blast areas" could possibly mean.

"Squared off" just means reshaping something to look more like a square. It may mean something else, if the context gave us some clues.
    Experience is recognizing a mistake the second time you make it.
    You don't go to an Englishman when you want good pierogi.

- Wisdom from my father

J&K Tutoring Guest

Re: grouping small spots into larger squared off blast areas - whole sentence

The name of this site is Using English. Instead of academic, classroom questions about 'cousins and gloves' that have to be answered again every couple of months, or the students who rack up thousands of posts because they are too lazy to do the research (or that IS their research), you ask about real-life situations. I don't think of your posts as troublesome.

You have the correct understanding of "squared off". Square up and square off mean the same thing in this usage.