Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hi there!

Recently I overheard a conversation between two guys talking rather offhand. And when one said something I don't really understood (but I heard the word sh*t in it) the other one answered with "I don't go there". Whereupon both started laughing, to make it short. That was the first time I heard this idiom - if it is one.

Taking it literally I assume it means something like "I won't elaborate on this further" or "I won't describe that in detail". Which could make sense. However, I'm unsure, because that would slightly be to formal for that type of conversation...

Long story short, can anybody tell me the actual meaning of this phrase? Thanks in advance.

Kind regards!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It sounds as if the speaker does not want to be involved in such areas of language.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I don't go there" means "I don't talk about that" or "I avoid talking about that."

It's a casual American English cliche. It implies that talking about it would get the speaker in trouble or would cause unhappiness. It's usually meant humorously.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Similar variants are "I/We won't go there" and "Let's not/Don't go there".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In my opinion it means I refuse to involve myself in any of these incredibly convoluted and pointless disputes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi there!

Recently I overheard a conversation between two guys talking rather offhand. And when one said something I don't really understood (but I heard the word sh*t in it) the other one answered with "I don't go there". Whereupon both started laughing, to make it short. That was the first time I heard this idiom - if it is one.

Taking it literally I assume it means something like "I won't elaborate on this further" or "I won't describe that in detail". Which could make sense. However, I'm unsure, because that would slightly be to formal for that type of conversation...

Long story short, can anybody tell me the actual meaning of this phrase? Thanks in advance.

Kind regards!

It generally means that the speaker does not want to do or does not care about whatever the other person was talking about.

The fact that they laughed afterward may be significant. Also the use of the word "sh*t" is significant in the meaning as well. This word can mean many many things depending on how it is used.

You have given us just a snippet of the conversation. A more complete version would be helpful.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"I don't go there" means that the speaker does not choose to involve him or herself in such trivial discussions.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think triviality is involved. I don't go there can mean "I don't discuss such sensitive subjects."

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't think triviality is involved. I don't go there can mean "I don't discuss such sensitive subjects."

I agree. Thank you for the correction.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It doesn't have to relate to anything sensitive when used in other contexts.

Jane: How are the wedding preparations going?
Sarah: Don't go there!!!
Jane: Oh. That well, huh?
Sarah: Aaaargh, there is just so much still to do!

MyHWHelp

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Used to say that you do not want to think or talk about something.

or

I don't want to discuss that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum, MyHWHelp.

I'm not sure if the "HW" in your username stands for "homework" but, in case it does, please be aware that we do not help students with homework or assignments on this forum.

Also, if "MyHWHelp" is the name of a website with which you are affiliated in some way (I note that there is a hit if I Google it), you will be asked to change your username as advertising is not permitted.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Risfy, please click here, read post #5 and click on 'Thank' in the bottom left-hand corner to acknowledge that you have read it.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We also notice that you haven't asked a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.