He wondered that what he "might have been going through" or "would be going through"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
He wondered that what he "might have been going through" or "would be going through"

My friend's father is a taxi driver. Years ago he came home drunk and he had some documents as well. He wanted to through them away. But my friend noticed that those were the certificates of someone (Mark sheet and certificates that, that person had acquired). Because at that time he had just passed 12th so he knew that how important those documents were for that person. He wondered that what he "might have been going through" or "would be going through" without those documents. So there was the phone number of that person at the top of one page. He called him and asked him to collect his documents.

Please check my sentences. What should I use here "might have been going through" or "would be going through"? "Might have done" refers to earlier past and "would" refers to the past future.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Re: He wondered that what he "might have been going through" or "would be going throu

My friend's father is a taxi driver. Years ago he came home drunk and he had some documents as well. What has his coming home drunk got to do with the documents?

He wanted to through them away. But my friend noticed that those were[STRIKE] the[/STRIKE] someone else's certificates [STRIKE]of someone[/STRIKE] (Mark sheet and certificates [STRIKE]that,[/STRIKE] that person had acquired). Because, at that time, he had just passed[STRIKE] 12th[/STRIKE] twelve so he knew that how important those documents were for that person. He wondered that what he [STRIKE]"might have been going through" or "[/STRIKE]would be going through without those documents. [STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] There was the phone number of that person at the top of one page of the document. He called him and asked him to collect his documents.

Please check my sentences. What should I use here "might have been going through" or "would be going through"? "Might have done" refers to earlier past and "would" refers to the past future.
The latter phrase is appropriate since it is referring to something that had not happened.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Re: He wondered that what he "might have been going through" or "would be going throu

The latter phrase is appropriate since it is referring to something that had not happened.

But it happened when he called him he came to know that he was very worried and his family members were worried about him. So that person was worried. He also hadn't eaten anything that day because of the lost documents.

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Could you please answer my question?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

He wondered that what he "might have been going through" or "would be going through without those documents.

If he had gone through those feelings, there was nothing for him to wonder.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

If he had gone through those feelings, there was nothing for him to wonder.

I think you got confused "He (my friend) wondered that what he (that other guy who had lost his documents) would be going through without those documents. I think you thought that I wrote that about my friend but "My friend was wondering that what that other guy might have been going through without the documents".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

"Might have been going through" is appropriate then.

Status
Not open for further replies.