• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

he had gone to his friend's home to get a hammer because he "thought he might have ha

We say "I went to my friend to get a hammer because I thought he "might" or "would" have it". If we want to say that "John told Carter that he had gone to his friend's home to get a hammer because he "thought he might have had" it" then do we need to say he "would have had it" or "might have had it" or we just need to stick to "would" or "might"?

emsr2d2 is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: he had gone to his friend's home to get a hammer because he "thought he might hav

"I went to my friend's house/I went to see my friend because I thought he might have a hammer" is the shorter, simpler way to say it.
    "John told Carter he had gone to his friend's house because he thought he might have a hammer" would be my suggestion for the second sentence.

There's a difference in likelihood between "might" and "would" here. Can you work out what it is?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: he had gone to his friend's home to get a hammer because he "thought he might hav

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    "I went to my friend's house/I went to see my friend because I thought he might have a hammer" is the shorter, simpler way to say it.
    "John told Carter he had gone to his friend's house because he thought he might have a hammer" would be my suggestion for the second sentence.

There's a difference in likelihood between "might" and "would" here. Can you work out what it is?
    "Might" means he thinks that his friend probably had it and "Would" means he was a bit sure that his friend had the hammer.

J&K Tutoring Guest

The pronoun it is known and specific, and does not go with the indefinite article a.

I went to my friend to get a hammer because I thought he might/would have one.
    Any hammer will do.

I went to my friend to get the hammer because I thought he might/would have it. There is a certain hammer. I want that one and I think my friend has that one.
    Last edited by J&K Tutoring; 28-Jul-2017 at 10:59.