• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

suggesting that their DNA has greater impact on them. "

"A university study, for example, on 800 sets of non-identical and identical twins, almost all of whom share the same home environment, has demonstrated that identical twins are twice as likely as non-identical ones to share the same personality, suggesting that their DNA has greater impact on them. "

I want to change the underlined part into the way that I can add the word "finding" without changing the verb "suggesting". How I can do that?For example: finding suggesting that....
    Is it possible?

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: suggesting that their DNA has greater impact on them. "

No. You can't say "finding suggesting that". You could say "finding that" but it would change the meaning. It would indicate that that result was definitely "found" as a result of the research rather than the research simply "suggesting" that it's the case.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

yi-ing, always tell us the source and author of any text you quote, please.

yi-ing is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    yi-ing, always tell us the source and author of any text you quote, please.
    Sure teacher. The reason why I didn't mention the source was that I have combined some sentences together by myself. I was not sure if I needed post the source or not.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...udy-shows.html

Lynxear is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by yi-ing View Post
    "A university study, for example, on 800 sets of non-identical and identical twins, almost all of whom share the same home environment, has demonstrated that identical twins are twice as likely as non-identical ones to share the same personality, suggesting that their DNA has greater impact on them. "

I want to change the underlined part into the way that I can add the word "finding" without changing the verb "suggesting". How I can do that?For example: finding suggesting that....
    Is it possible?
    It would be much better if you composed your own sentence, rather than cut and splice sentences from a published news article. You are not learning much by doing this.

Changing "suggesting" to "finding" is not recommended. You would be changing the meaning of the sentence (actually sentences when proper corrections are applied). "Suggesting" means the researchers believe their results are true but cannot definitely prove it. "Finding" means their study shows the results to be definitely true.
    Experience is recognizing a mistake the second time you make it.
    You don't go to an Englishman when you want good pierogi.

- Wisdom from my father

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

We don't normally address teachers as 'teacher'. In some schools, pupils, especially younger ones, may address teachers as 'sir/miss', but we generally address teachers by name.
    Thanks Piscean.

It is because of cultural differences. We always mention our teachers, professors , etc. with words like "Teacher", "Professor" ,...
    It is considered rude and impolite if we call them by their first name or even last name. However, I'll call you all as you stated. Thanks for your guide.
    Last edited by yi-ing; 30-Jul-2017 at 10:37.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

It would be much better if you composed your own sentence, rather than cut and splice sentences from a published news article. You are not learning much by doing this.
    Really? The reason is my own sentences are too simple and I don't have ideas to write or speak more about a topic. I even don't know how to talk about a writing or speaking topics in my own language. I have lack of ideas. Also I want to score high in my IELTS exam. If I don't use complex vocabulary and grammar structure I won't score more than 6 or 6.5. Do you have any suggestion please?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

My suggestion to being able to write better sentences is to READ English in books, newspapers, and other sources such as the internet. Even reading children's books will help if you have a low level of reading. You can start with a book at the level of a young child first and then move progressively to books targeting an older audience.

By reading English you become familiar with the way different authors compose their sentences in addition to raising your level of vocabulary. It is not a quick method but it will be a solid one.

- Wisdom from my father

newkeenlearner is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Pashto, Pushto
      • Home Country:
      • Afghanistan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Your suggestions are really great Lynxear. I also have difficulty writing essays when it comes to brainstorming. I think almost all who are studying for international exams like IELTS, TOEFL, etc., do face the same problem. I'll follow your rules. Hope it will help me to do best in my exam, especially writing skill.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by newkeenlearner View Post
    Your suggestions are really great Lynxear. I also have difficulty writing essays when it comes to brainstorming. I think almost all who are studying for international exams like IELTS, TOEFL, etc., do face the same problem. I'll follow your rules. Hope it will help me to do best in my exam, especially writing skill.
    Believe it or not, I developed my writing skills after I graduated from high school and entered university. I did very poor in composition in high school and poetry was something I could never understand back then. However, in the honours chemistry program they were very strict about marking our lab reports for grammar as well as the lab results. They did this because they wanted us to move on to a Masters and PhD after the honours program and they did not want to have problems with students writing a poor thesis.

Much later in life I found my arts side and found I could write poetry as well. I have over 70 poems on the internet that have been generally well received by my peer group there. I am still criticized for my simple rhyming format by some but others praise me for my clarity and rhythm.

What I am saying is, don't feel frustrated! Eventually you will discover your "groove" and things will make sense to you. English is not an easy language to learn by any means. Reading will help you a lot. Keep a dictionary by your side and look up the difficult words. Try to figure out any idioms by yourself and as a last resort look up their meanings from a credible source. Eventually everything will fall into place.

As far as essay writing goes, many people try to write the perfect essay in one draft. This is not the way to go. First sketch out a summary of what you want to say. Write down all your thoughts on the subject. This is important. I cannot tell you how many times I have thought of something perfect to say and forget this gem because it is not written down. Write several drafts as well, tweaking your sentences until you are satisfied.

Anyway I am getting carried away here. You will do fine as long as you work hard at it. Nothing worthwhile comes easy.

- Wisdom from my father