Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
As you move from East to west the time zone starts getting early like when it is 10:00 PM in India it is 10:30 PM in Pakistan.

Could you please check my sentence?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Please check it yourself first- capitalisation and logic might be a good place to start.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please check it yourself first- capitalisation and logic might be a good place to start.

As you move from east side to west side of the world the time zone starts getting early like when it is 10:00 PM in India it is 10:30 PM in Pakistan.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The time on the clock could be said to get earlier, but I wouldn't describe the time zone that way.

As you travel west, you will eventually enter earlier time zones. For example, when it's 10:00 PM in India, it's 9:30 PM in Pakistan.

I've just returned from the Middle East where the local time was seven hours later than the time at home in Ohio and ten hours later than the time where family members live in California. My father gets up very late in the day, so I had to call him at 8:00 AM so I could talk to him when it was 10:00 PM the previous day, California time. If I called in the evening my time, it was too early in the morning for him to be awake.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, I was about to advise that time zones change on the hour, not the half hour, but I just learned that India is one of a few countries with an offset time zone, so it really is just a 1/2 hour difference between Pakistan and India.

India seems like a pretty large country geographically to squeeze into one shortened time zone, but I guess Nepal is even stranger. Apparently it's 15 minutes behind its eastern time zone neighbor, but 45 minutes ahead of its western time zone neighbor. :shock:

And here I thought Daylight Savings was bothersome.

You learn something new every day.

I was going to suggest a re-write of "As you move west across the globe, you lose an hour for every new time zone", but I guess that's not strictly true.

Tufguy, note that you added time while moving west, instead of subtracting. You'd have to move east to gain time.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Well, I was about to advise that time zones change on the hour, not the half hour, but I just learned that India is one of a few countries with an offset time zone, so it really is just a 1/2 hour difference between Pakistan and India.

What is an offset time zone?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Skrej explained that in post #5.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I think Myanmar is another- I recall having to set clocks back by something and half an hour when I went there.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How about: As you move west across the globe, you gain time by the hour (or half) as you enter new time zones where times are progressively later/behind."

Central Australia is another one where the time is GMT + 7.5 hours.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could say that as you move west you have to put your clock back when you cross a time zone.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could say that as you move west you have to put your clock back when you cross a time zone.

There are, of course, exceptions. For example, if you take the ferry west from Fortune, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada to St. Pierre, France (a small island southeast of Newfoundland Island), you will have to set your watch half an hour later.

Status
Not open for further replies.