Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    AirbusA321 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    235

    Columbus

    Please check if both versions are correct and which one is better.

    Columbus is not the discoverer of America. The vikings were there way earlier. Curiously, the Minnesota Vikings seem to be the only ones to appreciate this fact. Much more cities, streets, institutions, etc, are named after Columbus.
    Columbus was not America's explorer. The vikings had been there way earlier. Strangely, the Minnesota Vikings seem to be the only ones who dignify this fact. Much more cities, streets, institutions, etc. have been named after Columbus.

  2. #2
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,254

    Re: Columbus

    Cities is a countable noun so "much" doesn't work. Write many more cities.

    Explorer doesn't work in that context. Use discoverer.
    I am not a teacher.

  3. #3
    Skrej's Avatar
    Skrej is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Columbus

    You also need to capitalize the first instance of 'vikings' as it's still a proper noun.
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

  4. #4
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    61,312

    Re: Columbus

    Quote Originally Posted by Skrej View Post
    You also need to capitalize the first instance of 'vikings' as it's still a proper noun.
    You need to capitalise the first letter of "Vikings" in every instance.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  5. #5
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,097

    Re: Columbus

    Is the NFL team really named after a belief that the Vikings arrived in America before Columbus? It is also very questionable to argue that the team is the only source that recognises this.

  6. #6
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,254

    Re: Columbus

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertJ View Post
    A point of interest. When you say "Minnesota Vikings" are you referring to the football team in the NFL?
    I'm not the OP but I can confidently answer that question: Yes.
    I am not a teacher.

  7. #7
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25,679

    Re: Columbus

    Quote Originally Posted by AirbusA321 View Post
    Columbus is not the discoverer of America. The Vikings were there way earlier.
    In fact, the continent of North America was discovered sometime around 40,000 BC, when people from Asia crossed the Bering Strait. There were several large civilizations in North America before the Vikings arrived.
    Last edited by Raymott; 05-Aug-2017 at 09:20. Reason: spell strait properly

  8. #8
    Skrej's Avatar
    Skrej is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Columbus

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Is the NFL team really named after a belief that the Vikings arrived in America before Columbus?
    Minnesota and other adjacent states in the upper Midwest have significant populations with Scandinavian heritage. Minnesota in particular is known for its strong Norwegian heritage, with Norwegian actually still spoken in small isolated pockets.

    The team name is in part a nod towards that Nordic heritage and has nothing to do with Columbus, as far as I know.
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

  9. #9
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,254

    Re: Columbus

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    In fact, the continent of North America was discovered sometime around 40,000 BC, when people from Asia crossed the Bering strait straight. There were several large civilizations in North America before the Vikings arrived.
    It's true that human beings discovered North America several tens of thousands of years ago. Europeans who didn't know it existed discovered it -- i.e., gained knowledge of its existence -- in the tenth and again in the fifteenth century. Had the discovery gone in the other direction it would be just as accurate to say the Aztecs (for example) discovered Europe.
    I am not a teacher.

  10. #10
    AirbusA321 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    235

    Re: Columbus

    I think there are people all over the world who watch the NFL on TV sometimes. I mean, I'm not a huge fan or so (though I somewhat like the Green Bay cheeseheads) but I'm aware that there's a team called the Minnesota Vikings who keep the heritage of the good old Vikings alive because it seems a little bit unfair to me that Columbus gets so much credits for something that wasn't that special, at least from our 21st century perspective. Maybe it's because back in the days when the cities and streets etc. got their names, the people were not yet aware of the Vikings' achievements thousands of years ago. Otherwise, maybe there would be a "Viking street" in every American town today, who knows?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •