• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

the past popularity

https://demo.waazon.com/30681756?ter...+turned+victor

I came across the follow sentence:" Beating Usain Bolt in his last race then shushing the fans is hardly the past popularity, but his respect for Usain Bolt was clear."

What does the underlined sentence mean?

Thanks for your help!

Jason

J&K Tutoring Guest

Re: the past popularity

It doesn't make sense to me either. I listened to the audio, and I'm pretty sure the announcer said, "...is hardly the path to popularity..." That and other apparent errors in the text you linked lead me to guess that the text is software-generated from the speech. Those are often inaccurate and in my mind, a pretty lazy way of generating text.
    Last edited by J&K Tutoring; 07-Aug-2017 at 00:41.

jasonlulu_2000 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by J&K Tutoring View Post
    It doesn't make sense to me either. I listened to the audio, and I'm pretty sure the announcer said, "...is hardly the path to popularity..." That and other apparent errors in the text you linked lead me to guess that the text is software-generated from the speech. Those are often inaccurate and in my mind, a pretty lazy way of generating text.
    Can you be so kind as to tell me what "other apparent errors" in the text are?

Thanks again!

J&K Tutoring Guest

"...get his goal..." is probably either: get his gold or reach his goal. In English we do not get a goal, we reach it or we achieve it.

...shot -- shocked...

"It is Gatling [B]eating Usain Bolt then shushing the fans is hardly..."

Very possibly some of the errors can be charged to the commentator. These people are not hired because of their command of the English language, but that does not excuse lazy reporting from an organization that wants you to pay for 'news reporting'.