Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    monsterjazzlicks's Avatar
    monsterjazzlicks is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    256

    Question RE: Slang Abbreviations

    Hi folks,

    With regards to abbreviations of a slang nature (eg. goin', talkin', doin', etc), I am trying to find, please, the equivalent for the phrase: 'wanted to'.

    For example:

    "They all desperately wanted to mess this guy up real good."

    "They all desperately wann'ad to mess this guy up real good."

    Would "wann'ad" be the correct abbreviation in this case, please?

    Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here.

    Best,

    Paul (UK)
    Mature student of GCSE English, GCSE Maths, and Level One BSL.

    I am not a teacher.

  2. #2
    GoesStation is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,264

    Re: Slang Abbreviations

    Just write wanted.
    I am not a teacher.

  3. #3
    monsterjazzlicks's Avatar
    monsterjazzlicks is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    256

    Question Re: Slang Abbreviations

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    Just write wanted.
    Hi GoesStation,

    Thank you for your response.

    That is all well and good; however, what if I intentionally wish to use such an abbreviation, please?

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlicks; 06-Aug-2017 at 18:19. Reason: spelling
    Mature student of GCSE English, GCSE Maths, and Level One BSL.

    I am not a teacher.

  4. #4
    monsterjazzlicks's Avatar
    monsterjazzlicks is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    256

    Question Re: Slang Abbreviations

    Hi again,

    Just to add: I have seen the abbreviation written as "wann'ad" and also "wannad" in published books I have read in the past. These are something which have stuck with me in terms of curiosity and also because I would like to include the term within a short story I am currently working on.

    There may well be other variants, but essentially, I would like to know which one (if any!) might be universally preferred?

    Much appreciated as always.

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlicks; 06-Aug-2017 at 18:20. Reason: spelling
    Mature student of GCSE English, GCSE Maths, and Level One BSL.

    I am not a teacher.

  5. #5
    Lynxear's Avatar
    Lynxear is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    492

    Re: Slang Abbreviations

    This is a website for learning English. You are wanting a very very common speech contraction of AE ghetto talk. You can probably source a dictionary of such language/slang on the internet. I would say that no English teacher here is knowledgeable about such language. I certainly am not.

    Personally speaking, when I was a teacher of new learners of English I discouraged such talk. As a new learner, you do not score points for using such language in the general public. Even if you tried to fit in with a group that used that language, you would probably use you limited knowledge wrong and expose yourself to ridicule in my opinion.

    I am reminded of a discussion I had with a Japanese language teacher when I took a course for fun. She cautioned me about using certain Japanese words and phrasal constructions. She told me that only crooks/gangsters and very low-life individuals used such language. If I used it with decent people, I would be cast as one of those people and be shunned. She also said that no one would explain why to me.
    Experience is recognizing a mistake the second time you make it.
    You don't go to an Englishman when you want good pierogi.

    - Wisdom from my father

  6. #6
    GoesStation is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,264

    Re: Slang Abbreviations

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlicks View Post
    I have seen the abbreviation written as "wann'ad" and also "wannad" in published books I have read in the past.
    Readers are going to wonder what that means - it's not at all obvious. Americans rarely articulate the t in "wanted", so there's no need to contract (not "abbreviate") the word.

    You can substitute ta for "to" to inject a note of casual speech.
    I am not a teacher.

  7. #7
    monsterjazzlicks's Avatar
    monsterjazzlicks is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    256

    Question Re: Slang Abbreviations

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynxear View Post
    This is a website for learning English. You are wanting a very very common speech contraction of AE ghetto talk. You can probably source a dictionary of such language/slang on the internet. I would say that no English teacher here is knowledgeable about such language. I certainly am not.

    Personally speaking, when I was a teacher of new learners of English I discouraged such talk. As a new learner, you do not score points for using such language in the general public. Even if you tried to fit in with a group that used that language, you would probably use you limited knowledge wrong and expose yourself to ridicule in my opinion.

    I am reminded of a discussion I had with a Japanese language teacher when I took a course for fun. She cautioned me about using certain Japanese words and phrasal constructions. She told me that only crooks/gangsters and very low-life individuals used such language. If I used it with decent people, I would be cast as one of those people and be shunned. She also said that no one would explain why to me.
    Thanks Lynxear,

    Correct, I am referring to 'AE' ghetto talk. I probably should have stated this in my initial post. In case you are interested, the story is about two U.S. convicts about to be released from jail.

    The story (dialogue) I am writing uses: goin', doin', thinkin', etc. I dare say this may not meet the approval of many advisers on here, and I certainly do not wish to cause a stir.

    I am not sure if you aware - and maybe this makes no difference whatsoever, but I thought I would mention it - I am British and so English is my first (and only!) language. I did not gain any qualifications at school and so I am learning late in life. Therefore, I am a British student of English rather than an overseas student (learning English as a second language).

    Cheers,

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlicks; 06-Aug-2017 at 20:36. Reason: spelling
    Mature student of GCSE English, GCSE Maths, and Level One BSL.

    I am not a teacher.

  8. #8
    monsterjazzlicks's Avatar
    monsterjazzlicks is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    256

    Question Re: Slang Abbreviations

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    Readers are going to wonder what that means - it's not at all obvious. Americans rarely articulate the t in "wanted", so there's no need to contract (not "abbreviate") the word.

    You can substitute ta for "to" to inject a note of casual speech.
    Thank you GoesStation,

    So my choice wording is a 'contraction' as opposed to an 'abbreviation'?

    How, please, would it work if I was to apply your substitution of 'to' for 'ta, please?

    Cheers,

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlicks; 06-Aug-2017 at 20:53. Reason: spelling
    Mature student of GCSE English, GCSE Maths, and Level One BSL.

    I am not a teacher.

  9. #9
    monsterjazzlicks's Avatar
    monsterjazzlicks is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    256

    Question Re: Slang Abbreviations

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertJ View Post
    As he says, he is writing a story, and you can write a story any way you want, just as you can sing a song any way you want. In addition, given his profile name, he may be writing song lyrics and, depending on the song, using perfect grammar sounds ridiculous, as it does in country music. Perfect grammar in country doesn't sell DVDs.

    Try "wanna mess -----" or "gonna wanna mess ----". I am strictly into classical music, but you could try 'hip-hop' or 'rap', both of which would make me change radio stations.
    Cheers Robert,

    I dare say that the language (inc. swearing) I have used in my ex-convicts story could be associated with 'rap'. But not to the point where the clauses make no sense (which is a predominant feature in 'rap' music!).

    I posted a thread on here a couple of months ago (as I was starting this new piece) and comments were made that it sounded too 'British'. Since taking these comments on board, I have read a book on the life story of a very successful and respected U.S. Law figure, and watched many episodes of 'Crime & Punishment' on Sky TV. Hence, I wanted to include some of verbal attributes I have picked up along the way.

    While I like jazz music first, classical is a close second. However, more recently I have been listening to early 1980s Madonna.

    Best,

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlicks; 06-Aug-2017 at 20:52. Reason: spelling
    Mature student of GCSE English, GCSE Maths, and Level One BSL.

    I am not a teacher.

  10. #10
    GoesStation is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,264

    Re: Slang Abbreviations

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlicks View Post
    So my choice wording is a 'contraction' as opposed to an 'abbreviation'?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlicks View Post
    How, please, would it work if I was to apply your substitution of 'to' for 'ta, please?
    They all wanted ta mess this guy up.
    I am not a teacher.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •