• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

About Past Perfect Tense

I never planned on telling my boss about my struggles with mental illness, mostly because I was afraid of losing my job. But things had gotten to the point where I couldn’t hide it anymore.

The reason why(that?) "had gotten" is in the past perfect is the story is in the past and still relevant. Is that correct?

Rover_KE is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: About Past Perfect Tense

You have posted a number of questions about the past perfect here, corta. - including this one.

Now that our members know this, they can decide for themselves whether or not they want to answer it.

This is our policy on posting in multiple forums:

We recommend posting a question on one forum only initially. If you do not get a satisfactory answer from that forum and you feel that you have exhausted its possibilities, then of course trying a different forum might help. It is only courteous however, to tell the second forum that you have already asked the question on another forum and then give a precis of the answers you received there, or provide a link to it, along with an explanation of why you are now looking elsewhere.

(emsr2d2)
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 08-Aug-2017 at 07:57.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: About Past Perfect Tense

The point in the past which this story pivots on is the moment when the person could no longer keep things quiet. That is the past equivalent of now. The issues leading up to this confession had built up before this moment until they could no longer be ignored. They were relevant to that moment in time.